PDA

View Full Version : Screensavers: why does everything have to be so complicated?

lightnb
18th July 2006, 06:28 AM
When I installed linux before, (maybe two years ago?) it came with like a billion and a half screensavers. I'm using Fedora Core 5 now, and in KDE there's like ten. What happened?

So I've been beating my head against the wall for the past five hours trying to add more screensavers. I keep downloading packages and installing them but non of them seem to show up in the screensaver choices.

(I'm using KDE by the way)

Sometimes when i try to install themes etc, or anything at all using YUMex, I get an error similar to this:

/nTransaction Check Error: file /etc/profile.d/kde.csh from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /etc/profile.d/kde.sh from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/applications/kde/kresources.desktop from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/dcopidlng/kalyptusCxxToDcopIDL.pm from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/kabc/formats/binary.desktop from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/katepart/scripts/jstest.desktop from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/katepart/syntax/ada.xml from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/katepart/syntax/bash.xml from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/katepart/syntax/cpp.xml from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/katepart/syntax/ilerpg.xml from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/katepart/syntax/logtalk.xml from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/katepart/syntax/lua.xml from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
file /usr/share/apps/katepart/syntax/pascal.xml from install of kdelibs-3.5.3-0.2.fc5 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-3.5.1-2.3
blah, blah, blah.....

What do I have to do so that I can have a billion screensavers to choose from again?

Thanks,

Nick

Nostrafus
18th July 2006, 06:47 AM
Just type this into your terminal

su -
yum -y install xscreensaver-extras xscreensaver-gl-extras

Then you get about 100 screensavers to choose from...

Also update afterward, I believe KDE may come with xscreensaver-extras, and I believe it adds a few.

Also here's a link to some screensavers

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=30

lightnb
18th July 2006, 06:54 AM
I ran the command from the Terminal and it completed successfully, but no new screensavers showed up in the screensaver section of the control panel.

Nostrafus
18th July 2006, 07:01 AM
hmmm... try a reboot... I know it sounds silly, but there should be quite a few more added.

Nostrafus
18th July 2006, 07:13 AM
Also, if the reboot failed... look for the screensaver Flurry under OpenGL Screensavers, I know it doesn't come packaged with KDE, if it's there, the screensaver install was successful, if not... something's wrong

lightnb
18th July 2006, 07:16 AM
Also, if the reboot failed... look for the screensaver Flurry under OpenGL Screensavers, I know it doesn't come packaged with KDE, if it's there, the screensaver install was successful, if not... something's wrong

Reboot failed - I found 195 items (they look like screensavers) in "/usr/libexec/xscreensaver/". So I guess there there, KDE just cant find them?

dishawjp
18th July 2006, 01:03 PM
I'm having a similar problem, except I'm running Gnome and not KDE. I haven't dug into it too closely yet, but may have some time to get into it tonight. But I have installed all screensaver packages, did get the KDE update to the screensavers while doing a yum update, the packages are installed, but they do not appear in the Gnome screensaver selector applet. If I come up with a solution tonight, I'll post it here.

How am supposed to use my computer if I don't have the "bouncing cow" screensaver? :-)

Jim

lightnb
18th July 2006, 06:00 PM
After searching my computer, I found a bunch of different folders in various locations that seem to contain screensavers, but none of which show up in the KDE screensaver options. Strange.

dishawjp
19th July 2006, 03:19 AM
I did a bit of poking around. As you can see, I have the following installed:

[root@eunix ~]# rpm -qa xscreensaver*
xscreensaver-base-4.24-2
xscreensaver-extras-4.24-2
xscreensaver-gl-extras-4.24-2
[root@eunix ~]#

but none of the extra screensavers appear in system->preferences-> screensaver

I tried to uninstall before reinstalling with yum and got the following dependency errors:

[root@eunix ~]# rpm -e xscreensaver-extras xscreensaver-gl-extras
error: Failed dependencies:
xscreensaver-extras is needed by (installed) kdeartwork-3.5.3-0.1.fc5.i386
xscreensaver-gl-extras is needed by (installed) kdeartwork-3.5.3-0.1.fc5.i386
[root@eunix ~]#

Something is a bit hosed somewhere, ut it's so unimportant that I'm not going to spend a lot of time chasing it down.

Wish I could be more help here.

Jim

lightnb
19th July 2006, 03:38 AM
Would this be a bug then, that should be reported?

dishawjp
19th July 2006, 04:32 AM

Most likely. It seems to me that it worked at one time and that after some upgrade, the rest of screensavers just failed to appear. I wish I had been paying closer attention so that I could file a decent bug report, but on this computer (dual boot FC4/FC5) it rarely sits idle long enough to go into screensaver. My SUSE box at work is idle often enough that it goes into screensaver mode several times a day and I would have quickly noticed a change.

RahulSundaram
19th July 2006, 05:29 PM

It is apparently this bug

http://bugs.kde.org/128610

lightnb
19th July 2006, 06:47 PM
That bug report seems to apply to the screensaver not comming on when it's supposed to. In this case, None of the additional screensavers are showing up as options when there package has been installed.

Wouldn't that be a seperate bug report?

dishawjp
19th July 2006, 08:50 PM
Wouldn't that be a seperate bug report?

I think it would. I'm having the problem and am running Gnome, not KDE. So it's probably an FC5 bug and not KDE or Gnome.

blue13130
19th July 2006, 10:36 PM
I am using GNOME and FC5 and the extra screensavers appear fine in my selection menu. After you install them with yum type xscreensaver-demo in the terminal to bring up the config menu and they should be there. Attached is my output from yum and the command and a screenshot with Flurry showing in the menu

[sanjay@FC5 ~]$ sudo yum install xscreensaver-extras xscreensaver-gl-extras
Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
livna [1/4]
core [2/4]
updates [3/4]
extras [4/4]
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for xscreensaver-extras to pack into transaction set.
xscreensaver-extras-4.24- 100% |=========================| 72 kB 00:00
---> Package xscreensaver-extras.i386 1:4.24-2 set to be updated
---> Downloading header for xscreensaver-gl-extras to pack into transaction set.
xscreensaver-gl-extras-4. 100% |=========================| 47 kB 00:00
---> Package xscreensaver-gl-extras.i386 1:4.24-2 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
Installing:
xscreensaver-extras i386 1:4.24-2 updates 3.0 M
xscreensaver-gl-extras i386 1:4.24-2 updates 3.2 M

Transaction Summary
Install 2 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)
Total download size: 6.1 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/2): xscreensaver-extra 100% |=========================| 3.0 MB 00:08
(2/2): xscreensaver-gl-ex 100% |=========================| 3.2 MB 00:07
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Installing: xscreensaver-gl-extras ######################### [1/2]
Installing: xscreensaver-extras ######################### [2/2]

Installed: xscreensaver-extras.i386 1:4.24-2 xscreensaver-gl-extras.i386 1:4.24-2
Complete!
[sanjay@FC5 ~]$ xscreensaver
xscreensaver xscreensaver-getimage xscreensaver-gl-helper
xscreensaver-command xscreensaver-getimage-file xscreensaver-text
xscreensaver-demo xscreensaver-getimage-video
[sanjay@FC5 ~]$ xscreensaver-demo

lightnb
19th July 2006, 10:46 PM
I'm getting an error:

[root@localhost ~]# xscreensaver-demo
bash: xscreensaver-demo: command not found

I'm using KDE though- Is this a gnome specific comand?

blue13130
19th July 2006, 11:54 PM
I'm getting an error:

[root@localhost ~]# xscreensaver-demo
bash: xscreensaver-demo: command not found

I'm using KDE though- Is this a gnome specific comand?

Not sure if it is GNOME specific....
Do you have the xscreensaver-base package installed? xscreensaver-demo belongs to that:

[sanjay@FC5 ~]$ locate xscreensaver-demo | grep bin
/usr/bin/xscreensaver-demo
[sanjay@FC5 ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/xscreensaver-demo
xscreensaver-base-4.24-2
[sanjay@FC5 ~]$

lightnb
22nd July 2006, 07:53 PM
The screensavers show up now. Don't ask me why but they do. The only thing I ran that could have done it was yum clean all; yum update.

siddley
23rd July 2006, 03:51 AM
I had the same problem using the gnome desktop. just a few screensavers even though I had xscreensaver installed. I solved it by uninstalling gnome screensaver. as soon as I did all the xscreensavers were in the listing for screensaver