PDA

View Full Version : YUM update consistant failure

ShizlacTheGreat
18th July 2006, 04:46 AM
I have been completely unsuccesful updating fc5 with YUM. It freezes the entire system at some point, usually when applying the updates, requiring a reboot. I found the temporary files where the update packages where put,(/var/cache/yum/updates?), after a failed update, and have tried from bash both yum install *.rpm and rpm -i *rpm from bash. Doesnt work, usually gets partway thru and gives an error messages. *.rpm for 'everything.rpm', like in dos?
With rpm -i *.rpm, apparently instead of applying updates in the directory, it wanted to connect and download a gig more of stuff. Im lost here. Any ideas? What could I look for in logs that would be helpful in pointing me in the right direction?

P.S.- Have already tried disabling power management and screensavers while updating-

u-noneinc-s
18th July 2006, 04:49 AM
For update, try rpm -U *.rpm (instead of rpm -i)

ShizlacTheGreat
18th July 2006, 04:58 AM
It (rpm) still wants to connect and restart the download process instead of simply applying the (complete set of) packages already downloaded. YUM does this to, but it seems to just be checking for newer updates (and not finding any, since these where just downloaded). I dont even want it to check. I just want to apply the packages allready downloaded. Still, It gets part way thru, and then quits on some error. I can manually install a single package, it then cleans up after itself and deletes the other 600 megs or so of packages.

u-noneinc-s
18th July 2006, 05:43 AM
Do you have yumex? yum install yumex. If that is successful, then start yumex, enable the Fedora repos and cllick refresh. Then pick and choose your updates a few at a time, or maybe even try # yum grouplist, then # yum -y groupupdate nameofgroup (including quotes and parenthesis). for example, KDE is KDE (K Desktop Environment) so you would do something like # yum groupupdate "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

ShizlacTheGreat
18th July 2006, 06:01 AM
Going to try one more standard update tonight on a fresh install, if same, gonna try that. Will post back.