PDA

View Full Version : Frog Problems

Merlin Whitewol
18th July 2006, 04:02 AM
I downloaded and installed fedora frog - http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog - but it won't run. I checked and it is in my files. When I try to run it, it flashes across the screen for less than 1 second. There are no error messages, it just flashes on screen and then is gone.
There is a remove document with it, but it only gives instructions on removing programs installed with frog, not how to remove frog. I tried 'yum remove frog' and several variants of that, but all I got were messages that the file doesn't exist.
If this program won't run on my machine, I need to remove it. Does anyone know how to remove it?

Wayne
18th July 2006, 04:21 AM
I downloaded and installed fedora frog - http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog - but it won't run. I checked and it is in my files. When I try to run it, it flashes across the screen for less than 1 second. There are no error messages, it just flashes on screen and then is gone.
There is a remove document with it, but it only gives instructions on removing programs installed with frog, not how to remove frog. I tried 'yum remove frog' and several variants of that, but all I got were messages that the file doesn't exist.
If this program won't run on my machine, I need to remove it. Does anyone know how to remove it?

It tells you where it's installed right on the pages you got it from:

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog#Where_does_it_install_itself_.2F_Where _to_see_how_it_works.3F

Wayne

Merlin Whitewol
18th July 2006, 05:35 AM
It tells you where it's installed right on the pages you got it from:

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog#Where_does_it_install_itself_.2F_Where _to_see_how_it_works.3F

Wayne

Yes it does tell you where it is supposed to be. I would not have had to search for it, had it been there, would I?
It installed itself to '/' (root), rather than '/home'.
Irregardless of where it is said to install itself, I want to remove it. If it doesn't install itself to the proper file and can't be run, it is useless at best, IMO.

Wayne
18th July 2006, 05:41 AM
Yes it does tell you where it is supposed to be. I would not have had to search for it, had it been there, would I?
It installed itself to '/' (root), rather than '/home'.
Irregardless of where it is said to install itself, I want to remove it. If it doesn't install itself to the proper file and can't be run, it is useless at best, IMO.

Well, that is something you didn't mention in your original post. I'm sorry but my mind-reading powers are not what they once were.

Did you install it as user or as root? If you installed it in root it may be under root's directory and probably lacks the correct permissions for you to run it as user.

Wayne

Merlin Whitewol
18th July 2006, 04:21 PM
Well, that is something you didn't mention in your original post. I'm sorry but my mind-reading powers are not what they once were.

Did you install it as user or as root? If you installed it in root it may be under root's directory and probably lacks the correct permissions for you to run it as user.

Wayne

Oops! :( I didn't notice that when I reviewed the message before posting it. Sorry. I try not to let such things get past my mental editor, but I missed it this time.

I installed frog as superuser. I tried to run it as 'su -' and also as root. It would not work either way. I tried rebooting and then logging in as root to run it, but it only did that brief screen flash thing. I turned off my computer and let it sit for a while, then booted up and tried again with the machine 'cold'. I thought I should try that just in case it was hotter that it seemed to be; maybe not a bright idea, but I thought it might be worth a try. But again the brief on screen flash was all I got.

-Merlin
PS: Reading minds is easy. If you can tolerate the insanity, that is. :D (Yea, it's a dumb joke, but I've heard worse.)

dishawjp
18th July 2006, 04:29 PM
rpm -q frog
will tell you if it is installed

which frog
will tell you where (the executable) it is installed

rpm -e frog
will uninstall frog if it is installed.

Also if it is not installed at a location in your path (like /) then you will have to supply a proper path to invoke the program to get it to run.

If you try to start it from a terminal, do you get any error messages?

Merlin Whitewol
18th July 2006, 06:39 PM
rpm -q frog
will tell you if it is installed

which frog
will tell you where (the executable) it is installed

rpm -e frog
will uninstall frog if it is installed.

Also if it is not installed at a location in your path (like /) then you will have to supply a proper path to invoke the program to get it to run.

If you try to start it from a terminal, do you get any error messages?

No, there were no error messages when I tried to run frog. 'rpm -q frog' showed it as not being installed, yet the file was there in root.

Other things happened today --

I had trouble booting up Fedora this morning. It simply stalled on start up. There were no error messages, it just stopped at 'udev' and stayed there. I tried several times with the same results.
I booted PCLinuxOS, and it loaded up fine. I spent some time checking messages, etc, from there. I rebooted and attempted Fedora again. It got to 'Bluetooth Services' and stalled. After waiting a while to see if it would continue, I rebooted again.
This time Fedora booted up, but there were problems. There was a new 'home' folder, a new 'trash' folder, a new user account and I had some difficulty logging in as root. I think that that was an attempt at taking over my system. Perhaps something came in with frog? I don't know. Chkrootkit found nothing, but the whole thing looked odd, and I was suspicious, so....
I reformated the hard drive (sigh) and then reinstalled Fedora. Perhaps there is a better way to have handled this, but this solution appears to have worked. I hope the problem is solved now, anyway.

-Merlin

roonjha
12th September 2006, 12:43 PM
Here is a useful link about fedora frog for those who run into any trouble like this they should see this before trying to format their whole OS.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Fedora_frog

Merlin Whitewol
12th September 2006, 02:11 PM
Here is a useful link about fedora frog for those who run into any trouble like this they should see this before trying to format their whole OS.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Fedora_frog

That page is the wiki for Fedora Frog. I read it before attempting to install/use frog. It gave no information at all that was any help with the frog problems.