PDA

View Full Version : Removing superfluous packages

FedoraUK
16th July 2006, 09:18 PM
Hi all. New here. Not quite so new to Linux but would still consider myself a newbie.

When I installed FC5 I pretty much left the default package selection to install. I can imagine I left some selected that I don't need or will use (for now)

How do I know what I need and don't need as far as not ruining the system? Is it just a case of using "yum remove <package>" to see what dependencies it has?

Cheers.

Seve
17th July 2006, 12:04 AM
Hello:
You could do a yum grouplist and see what you have installed and then if you want, do a yum groupremove one group at a time.
Seve

FedoraUK
17th July 2006, 12:20 PM
Ok fella, cheers.

I'll give that a go.

:)

RahulSundaram
18th July 2006, 12:51 AM
Hi all. New here. Not quite so new to Linux but would still consider myself a newbie.

When I installed FC5 I pretty much left the default package selection to install. I can imagine I left some selected that I don't need or will use (for now)

How do I know what I need and don't need as far as not ruining the system? Is it just a case of using "yum remove <package>" to see what dependencies it has?

Cheers.

yum install yum-utils

package-cleanup --leaves will show you packages that are not dependencies of any other package.