PDA

View Full Version : create/salvage boot cd

vijayd
16th July 2006, 05:17 PM
hi,

my linux cd(Fedora core 3-disc1) has got a scratch, im able to read all files except one.
i've downloaded that file and would want to make a bootable cd from what i have now
i.e.,the contents that can be recovered from the cd and the downloaded file.
i tried to create one with nero.
in nero under the boot tab where it asked for the boot image i entered the path of the file
vmlinuz(under the folder isolinux) but nero did not ask for a boot catalog.

am i correct in whatever i've done so far? where can i tell nero the path of the boot catalog?
i need help

edit:the burning softwares i've installed on my system are nero on windows, and k3b on linux

JoeyJoJoe
16th July 2006, 09:13 PM
I would advise that you just download the iso again for that cd.... actually I just looked here:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/

this should have the files that you need... I've not used core 3 but I'll assume you know what cds do what

vijayd
17th July 2006, 10:16 AM
I would advise that you just download the iso again for that cd.... actually I just looked here:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/

this should have the files that you need... I've not used core 3 but I'll assume you know what cds do what

i forgot to mention that im on a dialup and downloading the iso is not an option for me.
thats why i want to create the bootable cd from what i have

JoeyJoJoe
17th July 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure if you can do it with the software that you have because I've never used it, if someone knows how to do this on linux then that'd be helpful, but what you'd need to do is;

copy the files from the cd,
drop in the new file to replace the damaged one (are you sure it's only that one...)
then make an iso from that directory
then burn the iso to the cd

If you don't burn it from an iso then I don't think it'll work... I had a script to do this in windows but I can't get to it at the moment, i'll go on windows later on and if no one has said how to do it yet I'll post it then (It'll be about 2 hours)

vijayd
17th July 2006, 11:08 AM
yes im sure about the file that i've downloaded. that is the one.
i've put all the files in a directory with the same directory structure as in the cd
if im unable to make a bootable cd, then my only option is to make just a data cd that won't boot .

i'll have to start the installation with the scratched cd. and when the installation stops at the point where it is unable to read and eject the cd i'll have to replace the cd with the non bootable copy

JoeyJoJoe
17th July 2006, 11:59 AM
you definately going to have to make the cd from the iso, I don't think just having the file will work, even if you've already started it running, do you not have anything that can make iso's? Alcohol 120% can do it in windows

I think mkisofs.i386 would do it (which can be installed from yum), although I've not used it so I can't really give you any advice, the yum section does say;

mkisofs.i386 8:2.01.01.0.a03-3 core
Matched from:
mkisofs
Creates an image of an ISO9660 filesystem.
The mkisofs program is used as a pre-mastering program; i.e., it
generates the ISO9660 filesystem. Mkisofs takes a snapshot of
a given directory tree and generates a binary image of the tree
which will correspond to an ISO9660 filesystem when written to
a block device. Mkisofs is used for writing CD-ROMs, and includes
support for creating bootable El Torito CD-ROMs.

Install the mkisofs package if you need a program for writing
CD-ROMs.

which partly leads me to think that you could just cd into the directory containing the cd and the new file and then run it to generate an iso which you could then burn... I think it might be a bit of trial and error... unless someone else knows how to do it for sure

vijayd
17th July 2006, 03:27 PM
making an iso is not a problem here, coz nero gives me an option for that.
i know that the filesystem is supposed to be iso 9660 + joliet, which Nero can do
i want to make the cd bootable. i.e, make nero aware of the files vmlinuz(the boot image)- for which there is an option under the boot tab, but nowhere does it as for the boot catalog file(boot.cat)

JoeyJoJoe
17th July 2006, 04:04 PM
I think if you burn from an iso to a cd it'll be bootable on its own without any configuration... at least thats how it's been for me when I've made live cds. If you only want a liveCD then you should get Damn Small Linux, it'd probably be better than just a bootable cd with X and only 50MB (although if you also want the "higher" features of a specific cd then it won't really offer you everything you want)...

But, burning just from an iso has been all i've needed to do in the past. I've never specifically selected where the boot image or the boot catalog is. Having said that I've always made iso's with scripts which were specifically written for this situation... I'll stick a sh at the bottom that you might be able to modify in order to make it work for this by changing the file names - could be worth a try (it was for the Live Slackware)

If you have a re-writable cd I'd just give it a go from an iso without specifying a traget and hope for the best.

I would also say that although downloading a cd on dial-up might seem like a big task, if you stuck it on overnight or at the weekend you could probably get it; I just had a rough go at working it out and I think you should be able to get it in a little over 34 hours... :S

#!/bin/bash
# ---------------------------------------------------
# Script to create bootable ISO in Linux
# usage: make_iso.sh [ /tmp/slax.iso ]
# author: Tomas M. <http://www.linux-live.org>
# ---------------------------------------------------

if [ "$1" = "--help" -o "$1" = "-h" ]; then
echo "This script will create bootable ISO from files in curent directory."
echo "Current directory must be writable."
echo "example: $0 /mnt/hda5/slax.iso"
exit
fi

CDLABEL="SLAX"
ISONAME="$1"

if [ "$ISONAME" = "" ]; then
SUGGEST="../`basename \`pwd\``.iso"
echo -ne "Target ISO file name [ Hit enter for $SUGGEST ]: "
read ISONAME
if [ "$ISONAME" = "" ]; then ISONAME="$SUGGEST"; fi
fi

# isolinux.bin is changed during the ISO creation,
# so we need to restore it from backup.
cp -f boot/isolinux.bi_ boot/isolinux.bin
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
echo "Can't recreate isolinux.bin, make sure your current directory is writable!"
exit 1
fi

mkisofs -o "$ISONAME" -v -J -R -D -A "$CDLABEL" -V "$CDLABEL" \
-no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -boot-load-size 4 \
-b boot/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux.boot .

vijayd
18th July 2006, 08:11 AM
i'll try it out. hope this works

thanx for taking time to help me out.