PDA

View Full Version : Firefox exits/crashes repeatedly after kernel update, system updates

commonplace
16th July 2006, 12:33 PM
Yesterday, I installed about 10-12 updates (through System Tools | Software Updater, i.e. pup), including the new 2157 kernel.

Last night, when I was surfing the web, I noticed that Firefox closed suddenly. No message or popup or anything, it was just gone. I didn't think much of it, and went to bed shortly thereafter.

This morning, I notice it's happening with greater frequency, and there's a specific link on CNN.com's front page right now (Flooding could follow wildfires in California (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/16/wildfires/index.html)) which I can click that closes Firefox every time.

I've tried running Firefox in safe mode (firefox -safe-mode), and it still happens there. I haven't installed any new themes or extensions in over a month.

Thinking the problem was related to the new kernel, I booted into the 2145 kernel... and the problem is still there. :(

So, now I'm not sure what's wrong, or what to do next. This is my first 'major problem' in Linux.

How can I find out what updates were installed yesterday when I ran Software Updater? I assume it's logged somewhere, but I don't know where that would be. That might not help me much, since I wouldn't know how to rollback to a previous version of any of the items, but I at least wanted to see what all was updated to see if it sounds like it might be related.

Any suggestions on where to go next? I searched the forums, and found others that had this problem in the past, but the problems always 'went away' magically for them. I hope that happens to me, too, but I don't want to count on that. :) Thanks!

/Kevin

bbfuller
16th July 2006, 01:33 PM
I can't offer you any answers, but I do have a similar problem to yours since the updates dated Saturday 15 July.

Here, I had www.uk.yahoo.com set as my home page and now both opera and firefox regularly crash on startup. With any other page set as home each browser starts normally but will regularly crash when accessing uk.yahoo.com. Haven't found a problem with any other page yet.

I've now updated two Fedora based machines, one i686 and one x86_64 and both exhibit the same behaviour. The third machine that is not updated functions normally.

If I start firefox from a terminal this is the error message I get:

/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 3434 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Does that mean anything to anybody?

bbfuller
16th July 2006, 01:34 PM
I should add here that firefox and windows or firefox and other linux distributions function normally as well.

thegreatg
16th July 2006, 04:09 PM
I'm seeing the same problem. However, it's more general than you describe. Whenever I try to run a command that goes out to the network, I get a 'segmentation fault'. Things like firefox, ping or rsync to a network server. Occurred after I installed the Jul 15 updates which included the 2157 kernel, updated samba and updated kdelibs. I also dropped back to the old kernel but still have the problem. Must be something in the kdelibs or samba packages.

Is there a way to 'uninstall' the new kdelibs and samba and reinstall the old packages? Tried using the rpm command but each package has tons of dependencies.

commonplace
17th July 2006, 01:52 PM
I'm seeing the same problem. However, it's more general than you describe. Whenever I try to run a command that goes out to the network, I get a 'segmentation fault'. Things like firefox, ping or rsync to a network server. Occurred after I installed the Jul 15 updates which included the 2157 kernel, updated samba and updated kdelibs. I also dropped back to the old kernel but still have the problem. Must be something in the kdelibs or samba packages.

Is there a way to 'uninstall' the new kdelibs and samba and reinstall the old packages? Tried using the rpm command but each package has tons of dependencies.

I seem to be able to ping okay, but you're right: it's not just Firefox. I can no longer use my NX client or VNC to remotely access my machine; Konqueror and other browsers crash periodically when accessing web sites, etc.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon. Anyone had any luck in resolving this? Or do we just wait for another update to fix it?

TreasonX
24th July 2006, 10:42 PM
I am having the same problem with firefox. It crashes on various sites :(

thegreatg
27th July 2006, 04:18 AM
A new set of samba software updates were released today and installing them fixed all my problems.

Go to one of the fedora download sites and download the 4 samba packages that were released today, 26 Jul. Since my yum software wasn't working, I had to use my Windows/Firefox browser and manually download the packages. I then put them on a USB thumb drive and transfered the new .rpm files to my fedora box. Put the new samba .rpm files in their own directory and did an rpm -Uvh *.rpm to install the upgrades.

This fixed all the problems I had.

Give it a try.

commonplace
28th July 2006, 01:45 PM
Installing the updates worked for me as well. VNC, NX, Firefox, etc. all work fine now. My main concern was that I couldn't access my machine remotely (VNC and NX), and it's all been resolved. Kind of troubling that it took nearly two weeks for a fix, but I'm glad it's over with.

TreasonX
30th July 2006, 10:36 AM
My browser still crashes even after the update of samba... Grrrr... although I am really starting to like opera :)

kerskine
10th August 2006, 12:32 AM
I'm having the same problem, only it's crashing my whole system. I did a big update, and now everytime I use firefox with Gmail, my system hangs (reboot required). Anyone else seeing this (ref bug #201598 on bugzilla.redhat.com

Dan
10th August 2006, 01:10 AM
This may or may not be related, but since I updated to Firefox 1.5.0.6 last week on my Redhat 9 system, it has become a bit unstable. I've seen the Crash Report Wizard 6 times since the update. I'm looking for the next update hoping it will clean this up.

Hope it helps,

Dan