PDA

View Full Version : Laptop shuts off

anibis
16th July 2006, 03:38 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite a75s231 3.3ghz p4, I have no problems however sometimes in FC5 it will shut off, I'm pretty sure this is a heat issue, it only shuts off when I'm putting a high load on the laptop, if I run a house fan blowing on it everything is fine.

I have noticed the fans only run slow, in windows when I do something that puts a lot of load on the computer the fans speed up, they do not do this in FC5, is there a driver I need or something to make them speed up when required? I don't want to fry anything because it keeps overheating.

Thanks in advance

bigfootnmd
16th July 2006, 02:10 PM
Your first stop is to check the CMOS ROM BIOS setup for your laptop. Somewhere in there should be a setting that says run fan always. This will make the cooling fan run all the time. Also, you might want to take a can of compressed air and point the wand at the exhaust port of the fan and blow some air in there.
It could be that dust has accumilated around the fan.
Consult the Toshiba web page for more help.

Melio
16th July 2006, 04:22 PM
My wife's laptop shuts down like this in windows - I'm going to slap the bios around and see if there's any settings like this for her so she won't bug me for overpriced cooling lap-pads and stuff anymore :)

ccrvic
17th July 2006, 07:10 PM
I have noticed the fans only run slow, in windows when I do something that puts a lot of load on the computer the fans speed up, they do not do this in FC5

I had a similar problem with an old Compaq laptop - there, the fan didn't run at all...

Sad to say, the only solution I found was to switch to Ubuntu (which does run the fan properly).

Vic.

bigfootnmd
17th July 2006, 07:46 PM
I forgot to mention that you should make sure that your laptops have the latest BIOS updates.

anibis
17th July 2006, 11:11 PM
I updated my bios, disabled HT which did make my fans speed up and slow down as they should, and bought a laptop cooler (which i don't think works all that well bc i really cant feel any additional circulation) and I still have random shut offs, however when i put it over an a/c vent everything is gravy so it is def a overheating problem. Is there any aftermarket cooling equipment that I could install for a p4 3.3 satellite? I have read on other forums that these laptops have very crappy cooling systems so I was wondering if i could upgrade the heatsink somehow, I think its time they just start making water cooled laptops more mainstream or figure out a way how to keep the cpu temp down, this is insane.

I had to take this laptop apart a couple months ago to fix the ac power bracket and I blew out al the dust then, I think these hot temps most of the country is experiencing right now along with the crappy a/c at my work