PDA

View Full Version : Are mirage2 graphics supported in FC5?

DGF
14th July 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi all. Just curious. I've considered making some home computers with FC5 64e. I've found what looks like an excellent barebone system priced at a very reasonable level (108 USD). My question - is the mirage2 graphics chipset included on this MB supported under FC5?

Linky to the model from Asus's website:
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=1&l2=2&l3=0&model=508&modelmenu=1

Seve
14th July 2006, 11:35 PM
Hello:
As far as I know this is a SIS graphics chipset and SIS is supported in FC5
hth
Seve

DGF
3rd August 2006, 08:09 PM
Ok, thanks, another question now

Are SIS graphics chipset supported with fully open source drivers, and are they included on the install disks (ie will they get installed by default or do I have to hunt them down myself and install them manually?)

And does anyone know how this chipset might preform? All I that I'm really certain about is that a mirage2 won't preform on par with modern NV/ATI cards, but perhaps it will still have pretty decent 3D preformance for basic opengl software?

Seve
3rd August 2006, 11:58 PM
Hello:

Ok, thanks, another question now

Are SIS graphics chipset supported with fully open source drivers, and are they included on the install disks (ie will they get installed by default or do I have to hunt them down myself and install them manually?)
The drivers supplied by xorg and Fedora are open source and the xorg-x11-drv-sis [X.Org X11 sis video driver] will be installed from the disc during the install process.

And does anyone know how this chipset might preform? All I that I'm really certain about is that a mirage2 won't preform on par with modern NV/ATI cards, but perhaps it will still have pretty decent 3D preformance for basic opengl software?
I have no idea, but I would not have high expectations.
Seve

DGF
4th August 2006, 03:48 PM
Ok. First question was the more important one; it's good to hear it should simply be installed by defualt from the installation CD/DVD.

Thanks