PDA

View Full Version : Oracle 10g Express Installation

aks
11th July 2006, 01:02 PM
I recently installed Oracle 10g Express Database Server with default settings (port 8080) on my computer (Fedora Core 5). But whenever I tried to access my database home (i.e. http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex) in Firefox (ver 1.5), it throwed at me an error (Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:8080).
I even tried to add the ports in the firewall settings, but it didn't work. I even tried to install it on other ports, but that too was in vain. Now I'm unable to run my database server.

Could someone help me with this problem. Thanks in advance

Regards
Abhishek Singh

cdlaforc
11th July 2006, 04:03 PM
aks,
I just did a quick google search on "starting oracle 10g express" and found a site site showing the below commands

service oracle-xe start
chkconfig --add oracle-xe

I believe these were run as root and basically the start the service and adds it to your services. I believe you still need to tell your pc which runlevels to start this service for when you reboot. Just a thought.

aks
12th July 2006, 03:33 PM
Chris,
Actually the problem is not regarding how to start the the database service (i.e. Oracle-xe), but the problem is regarding the tnslistener (which listenes to port 1521). The service starts successfully since I have added port 1521 to the firewall, but still the tns could not work. I saw the tns configuration at /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/network/admin/listener.ora, but there was no such parameter that I would have considered changing in order to make tnslistener work.
Even though thankyou for your response. May be some other member could help.

Regards
Abhishek

cdlaforc
12th July 2006, 06:41 PM
aks,
So does you listener bomb when it tries to start?

aks
14th July 2006, 11:56 AM
Chris,
I could not get you by what you say "listener bombing"! But what so ever when I tried npam to scan for ports, it showed the 1521 port successfully opened and running and assigned to the service "oracle-xe". I also tried to run /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/bin/tnslsnr.sh but it quits without printing any messages, so I'm unable to determind what is the problem. But when every I open SQLPlus, and try logging like CONNECT SYS AS SYSDBA, and provide my password, it displays an error messages regarding the tns listener. So the problem is not solved yet.

Thanks.

aks
14th July 2006, 11:56 AM
Chris,
I could not get you by what you say "listener bombing"! But what so ever when I tried npam to scan for ports, it showed the 1521 port successfully opened and running and assigned to the service "oracle-xe". I also tried to run /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/bin/tnslsnr.sh but it quits without printing any messages, so I'm unable to determind what is the problem. But when every I open SQLPlus, and try logging like CONNECT SYS AS SYSDBA, and provide my password, it displays an error messages regarding the tns listener. So the problem is not solved yet.

Thanks.

cdlaforc
14th July 2006, 03:04 PM
aks,
By boming I just meant failing. Did you happen to look at thispage (http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/files/install.102/b25144/toc.htm)
to install. You may want to look at the "Known Issues" part as the talk about using the Oracle Database XE Home Page.

What is the error you recieve when trying to connect with sqlplus?

aks
15th July 2006, 05:18 AM
chris,
Although there is a section called TNS:Protocol adapter errors in the Oracle XE known issues and bugs, I could not find my problem listed there. By the way, while connecting with SQLPlus, I get an error : ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.
thanks,