PDA

View Full Version : Problem using USB to transfer data from digital camera

hansi
11th July 2006, 09:09 AM
I am using FC5 on an Acer Apire 1524 notebook. When I want to transfer data from an Pentax Optio 5 camera via USB, the drive gets mounted. Opening takes relatively long and I can see the main folder of the camera. Opening this shows only crude filenames and folders with the restircted access symbol.
I get the same result when I insert the SD card directly into the card reader of the notebook.
Any idea what might be wrong?

multescugeorge@
11th July 2006, 12:11 PM
Try logging in as root.

hansi
11th July 2006, 12:42 PM
Already tried this because I found it in another topic. Did not help.

bradchaus
12th July 2006, 09:49 AM
yum install f-spot .... its kewl

pete_1967
12th July 2006, 09:53 AM
Opening this shows only crude filenames and folders with the restircted access symbol.
I get the same result when I insert the SD card directly into the card reader of the notebook.
Any idea what might be wrong?

'Restricted access' symbol is there to show that you can't edit the files in their current location. The file names are as the camera records them.

The time it takes for Nautilus to load the images depends on the size and amount of the images on camera and the speed of your USB connection.

There's nothing wrong with your system however.

Select all images and copy on your hard drive and manipulate them with Gimp or any other image editor, or install photo management program such as f-spot mentioned above.

hansi
12th July 2006, 07:13 PM
Sorry, but I still have the problem. I attached a screenshot of the window. When I connect the camera to windows, it correctly shows file names. In the Pentax there are only two jpegs. Nothing else.

hansi
23rd July 2006, 01:48 PM
I meanwhile solved the problem. It had two broken image files on the card. Those were in the hidden .trash folder, Fedora created on deletion. It took me several tries to get the card reformatted with the camera.