PDA

View Full Version : Apps don't fit on screen

linearfish
11th July 2006, 02:03 AM
I've had this problem with two programs now: gramps and freeciv. They load fine, but it doesn't fit entirely on my screen. Often times I have no way to access menus at the top or buttons on the bottom of the screen. I'm running an older laptop and the monitor can't go above an 800x600 resolution. Is this something I can fix with a configuration, or is my resolution too outdated? I've read of a few other people with this problem but no solutions so far. Thanks.

ppesci
11th July 2006, 03:11 AM
you can do 2 things:

First and easily is to use Alt-click to move the window.

Second: if you can't change the resolution in the menu System> Display, you can edit manualy the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add "1024x768" in the modes line located in the Section "Screen"

Is a good idea to copy the file if the change doesn't work.

HTH

Pietro Pesci Feltri
HTH

linearfish
12th July 2006, 05:52 PM
Got it. I had to edit my monitor type to LCD 1024x768, which I didn't think it was. But it worked. Thanks.

sgtbob
27th August 2006, 10:27 PM
I too have a problem with uploading a GEDCOM to GRAMPS. Lots of the notes will not be picked up in full. Only part of them will be seen. I opened the GEDCOM in both PAF and Family Tree Maker before I attempted to load into GRAMPS. I have this problem on 3 PC's running SuSE 10.1 and Fedora Core 5. I have also reported it as a bug, but no action was taken. Has anyone else ahd such a problem? Or is there another genealogy program that might run in Linux?

Bob

Both PC's exceed 2.5 GHZ speed, each have 1 MB RAM and lots of space on the HDD's.