PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help

9th July 2006, 06:31 PM
Hi All,

These are my first steps to a brighter future.......

Being a total Linux newbie trying to ween myself away from the other OS, I was wondering if there is a Linux equivilent of "Program Files" where all new programs are added.

I am trying to install some tar files and was wondering which folder the should be placed into. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Lluisanunez
9th July 2006, 06:43 PM
It's better to install RPM files via YUM. This way you don't have to take care of all the dependencies.
If you can't find an RPM and want to install from a tar.gz file, it is safer to do it at your user level, exctracting it to a /bin subdirectory under your home directory.
As for your question, I think the closest thing to 'Program files' is /usr/bin, where most executables are placed

Maikel
9th July 2006, 06:45 PM
I created a folder in my "home" folder called "LocalApps" where I install everything. I think you can make the file system work anyway you want from the books Ive read.

JoeyJoJoe
9th July 2006, 11:16 PM
I'm going to agree that YUM is the best way to install software.

Fairly unrelatedly... if you are a newbe then these help pages might be helpful for you (I'm still learning but they've helped me along the way)

http://www.fedorafaq.org/ (this one is really useful when starting out)
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz (this is detailed, although a little old, but everything I've read so far has been useful)
http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds (ok, I know this offers no help but I like nice backgrounds....)
and of course this forum which can be useful

The best way to learn is to stick at it and just have fun; fedora is a good choice and linux is a brilliant little OS.

Jongi
10th July 2006, 01:11 AM
You guys haven't answered the guys question. In windows you can be sure all installed programs are in <drive>:\Program Files\<Directory>.

The original question is asking if there is a similar directory in FC(5?) when he installs a program. For instance, if he installs multiple rpms, will they all be subdirectories of the same directory?

[EDIT]
For me it is not an issue. But I can see how for some people it is important to know.

To the original poster, the best way to add programs is via yum. You can:

yum install compiz

and remove it with

yum remove compiz

without ever knowing whre the original program and other files were instlled. Or you could yum install yumex and have a GUI to do installs.

10th July 2006, 02:32 PM
You guys haven't answered the guys question. In windows you can be sure all installed programs are in <drive>:\Program Files\<Directory>.

The original question is asking if there is a similar directory in FC(5?) when he installs a program. For instance, if he installs multiple rpms, will they all be subdirectories of the same directory?

[EDIT]
For me it is not an issue. But I can see how for some people it is important to know.

To the original poster, the best way to add programs is via yum. You can:

yum install compiz

and remove it with

yum remove compiz

without ever knowing whre the original program and other files were instlled. Or you could yum install yumex and have a GUI to do installs.

Thanks for your help, I think I have a better understanding now.

ronlad
11th October 2006, 12:43 PM
Hi All,

These are my first steps to a brighter future.......

Being a total Linux newbie trying to ween myself away from the other OS, I was wondering if there is a Linux equivilent of "Program Files" where all new programs are added.

I am trying to install some tar files and was wondering which folder the should be placed into. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
I have a toshiba laptop M45 and would like to know if or where the printer port is.

startx
11th October 2006, 04:26 PM
I have a toshiba laptop M45 and would like to know if or where the printer port is.

@ronlad : You should start a new thread as this is not the same subject at all