PDA

View Full Version : Temp Root?

tizwoz
9th July 2006, 01:57 PM
I have looked on the internet but I have yet to source this. I remember someone telling me about a way that you could become temporary root within your user account? So like, just to do the odd admin thing, you would have root powers within your user account to save you closing all the work that you've got up atm.

Anybody know anymore about this? :) :)

William Haller
9th July 2006, 02:26 PM
From the command line (text login) or via a shell like konsole, type su newusertobecome or simply su if you want to become root. It will prompt for the password if you aren't root.

tizwoz
9th July 2006, 02:44 PM
From the command line (text login) or via a shell like konsole, type su newusertobecome or simply su if you want to become root. It will prompt for the password if you aren't root.

I typed that in terminal and it come back with su: user newusertobecome does not exist

I also typed: su root (incase I missread it and it newusertobecome had to be root) and it signed me in as root, but didn't give me the full privildges as root (some system folders were still locked to root) :( :confused:

markkuk
9th July 2006, 04:09 PM
Read the Fedora Basics FAQ (http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#root).

w5set
9th July 2006, 05:55 PM
use
su -
that's the old "su" with a space then a "-" (minus sign)
drop the quote marks of course.
su gives root priv without any "username" being typed and the "-" gives root PATH as well.
using su alone limits root to the currant user path, usually a little restrictive for admin purposes.

Jongi
10th July 2006, 12:46 AM
Are you not meaning making the user a sudoer. Search for the bold part on this forum.