PDA

View Full Version : External Promise RAID array with Adaptec AIC7xxx fails on large transfers

crispytwo
8th July 2006, 11:37 PM
I'm trying to get a Promise Utratrack RM8000 reliably working under Fedora Core 5 without much luck. The main problem is that large files (for example an .iso) will cause the Ultratrack to basically stop talking with the OS and a off/on is the only way to bring it online again with a reboot to the Linux server (as it will also freeze a short time after the RAID dies).

Has anyone had any success in getting the Promise Utratrack RM8000 working? I'm out of ideas, other than tossing the Promise RAID and getting something else that works.

I have tried upgrading the firmware from 1.1.0.05 to 1.1.0.36 and then to v.1.1.0.43 but it doesn't change anything with the stability. I've done smaller blocks of files and called 'sync' regularly and that did seem to help with the stability (but that isn't very practical). One thing I noticed is that the sync would take a fair amount of time (10-20 seconds) when a file, say 100MB, was transferred... that seems really long to me.

Are there any settings I should change for the disk (i.e. tune2fs) to work? Would other filesystems perform differently when large data is transfer (i.e. automatically sync with smaller blocks of data?)

My system:
OS Linux Fedora Core 5
kernel 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5smp
Adaptec AIC7xxx
driver version: 7.0
Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter
Array is formatted as ext3 (RAID 5)

Win2K3 used the same hardware etc and it work without issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA