PDA

View Full Version : rar files

sleetm
8th July 2006, 04:25 AM
i downloaded winrar for linux from their rarlab site and i cant unrar a rar file:

Cannot create lollipop.snp.txt
Cannot create misscleo.snp.txt
Cannot create paperdup.snp.txt
Cannot create pimpslap.snp.txt
Cannot create stoplite.snp.txt
Cannot create suited_n.snp.txt
Cannot create you_got.snp.txt
Cannot create yo_fault.snp.txt
Cannot create Snoop Dogg Discography Cover.jpg
No files to extract

It goes through every file and says this above.

Attempted rename since a same folder exists, :
mv: cannot move `Snoop Dogg Discography 12 Albums.rar' to `sd': Read-only file system

this is not a permissions problem, ive tried doing it with root too. any tips? thanks

SuperNu
8th July 2006, 04:55 AM
I was having problems deleting files from folders on my pc after unzipping a .zip archive. It turns out that the directory and files did not have the write attribute set. Be sure to chmod 644 *.txt and chmod 755 dir_name to add the write attributes.

--SN

d_GeNeRiT
8th July 2006, 05:08 AM
Make sure you have the "unrar" package installed for linux regardless of what rar software you are using.

yum install unrar

or

smart install unrar

Other than that I use the windows version of WinRar on Linux thru crossover office. If you have WINE im sure it will work also. I was not aware that WinRAR made a Linux version of their software. "Fileroller" is the native Linux app for all file compression or "Ark" both will hanlde rar files after installing the package above but not multiple .rar files When that is the case:

I only use WinRAR when there are a bunch of rar files in one such as ".r00, .r01, .r02" and so on.

pingoomax
8th July 2006, 06:12 PM
To extract rar files with fileroller, you need to install unrar, as mentioned d_GeNeRiT.
But fileroller try to use rar command and not unrar. So you need to make a logical link :
ln -s /usr/bin/unrar /usr/bin/rar

Multiple rar files are supported by unrar. Usually there is r00, r01,.. and one rar.
Just type
unrar x file.rar

seculor
8th July 2006, 07:41 PM
Ark can handle multiple .rar files, I use it all the time.

d_GeNeRiT
8th July 2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys,

You are absolutely right. I was able to use "File Roller 2.14.3" to extract rar files with multiple rar volumes inside. I just had to install the "rar" package in addition to the "unrar" package as follows:

smart install unrar rar

or

yum install rar unrar

With the GUI just right click on the rar file and choose "Open with Archive Manager"

marinaccio
14th September 2006, 04:39 AM
Thanks again for the information, just what I was looking for!