PDA

View Full Version : Why Upgrade

Hiko
8th July 2006, 04:05 AM
I have used FC4 and am now on FC5 looking forward to FC6 but I was wondering, if you update all the time using yum and stay current, is there a need to upgrade? What is changed that makes it better to get the latest version?
Thanks,
Edward

jim
8th July 2006, 04:33 AM
new features in Gnome or kde better graphics etc.... new rendering engines ... the list goes on

William Haller
8th July 2006, 04:38 AM
Generally, major release changes in the desktops, compiler suites, and server applications are only pushed out at a release change. That rule might not be set in concrete, but it is close. If you're happy with the release you have, there isn't a major need to upgrade immediately. However, updates for old releases (security, bugfixes, etcetera) drop off pretty fast and are officially stopped for R-2 once R starts shipping, so if you have exposed services, it makes sense to stay current so you can have security issues resolved quickly. Legacy updates are sometimes available for high priority problems on old releases, but there isn't as much emphasis there.

Hiko
8th July 2006, 07:35 PM
That makes sense. Ok. Next question is preparing for an upgrade. I have my home directory on a different partition. Is there any recommend scheme for partitioning or advice you can give on upgrading. I want to be prepared when FC6 comes out. Also, is there a way to set it up so that stuff I hve installed outside the repos can be done easier? Thanks.

William Haller
9th July 2006, 02:48 AM
I've just done in place upgrades from FC1 through FC5. You do have occasional litter that gets left behind by old packages that way. In particular, you need to go through /etc and look for any files ending in rpm.* and do manual updates for them (either merge your old settings into the new files if it made a rpm.orig or rpm.old) or check any rpm.new file for changes that are relevant to your operation and move them to your control files. It's a bit of a pain, but no worse than saving all your configuration, doing a fresh install, and then manually moving everything back again anyway. If you don't run any services it may be less of an issue, but if you are running services it seems easier to me to let it do the upgrade for you.

Having /home as a separate partition is ok and should present few issues during upgrade. Occasionally desktop configuration files have changed enough that it is faster to move .kde to .kdesave in your home directory, let it create another, and then move important files back manually. I assume similar issues are sometimes seen with Gnome upgrades. I usually use the kde distribution from kde-redhat.sourceforge.net, so the desktop is usually already at the release that comes with the new FC by the time it comes out.

Backing up everything you care about to a removable medium is always a good idea with any upgrade, of course!!