PDA

View Full Version : Permission and Access Problem

Altstatten
8th July 2006, 01:34 AM
I'm attempting to change a line in a conf file and FC5 is telling me I'm not authorized for access to root files, or something similar to that.

Please tell me in steps how to change my permissions in the root file so I can add one line to a file so I can get the synaptics software to run. Thank you.

Brian1
8th July 2006, 01:50 AM
You are a regular user correct?
You want to edit a file that only root can edit?
Which editor are you using?

Now open a terminal session and run the command ' su - '.
Now run the name of the editor and the file with location to edit.

Now if using KDE as your gui then there is a menu item under Start Menu > System > File Manager Supre User or something like that. Hit it and enter root's password. Or if not there then on a command line after change user to root with the command su - use the commad ' konqueror --profile filemanagement ' To open a konquorer window of KDE with file management option.

Brian1

Altstatten
8th July 2006, 02:17 AM
Yes.
Yes.
The one that installed w/FC5

Using Gnome. And sorry, but the last 2/3's of your last paragraph are confusing. ??

slimdog360
8th July 2006, 11:10 AM
either login at the login screen, or type su - into a terminal and do it through there. If your new to the command line though it would be easier just to login as root through the login screen.

slimdog360
8th July 2006, 11:13 AM
sorry I forgot to mention that if you login as root at the login screen you can do everything graphically ie open the file graphically and change it, just like in windows. Which makes it easier, but its never a good idea for people who are new to linux to use this sort of method in case they modify something they shouldnt.
Also make sure you make a backup copy of the file you are modifying before you modify it.

Brian1
8th July 2006, 02:45 PM
The last section only pretained to KDE if installed. So ignore it and do the su - idea as described above to open a root session and use an editor program of choice to edit the file.

Brian1