PDA

View Full Version : no video on compaq LCD

v8s10blazer
7th July 2006, 04:44 AM
Hey guys,

I just got FC5 up on my compaq laptop. ITs a presario 2140us with ATI IGP 320m graphics. I cant get any video output when im in X... Even when i installed FC5 i had to use my desktops CRT.. I selected a generic LCD panel 1024x768 as the monitor but i still cant get any video. Any ideas?

Thanks, Andy

v8s10blazer
7th July 2006, 08:00 AM
I just installed all of the new updates including the latest kernel. I also saw someone else in another thread suggested disabling the dri module in the xorg.conf. So far that hasnt fixed it!

I'll keep searching, and post up when i find a solution...

v8s10blazer
7th July 2006, 05:36 PM
Well i tried to install the ATI's driver but it seemed to have messed up gnomes window manager... It takes forever after you login to actually get to the desktop and i only have minimal functions while running gnome like i can only have one window open...

i think its because atis driver isnt configured yet since i need to run the aticonfig program... BUT i cant get it to run because it complains about missing libs... I seen another guy had the same problem and he fixed it but i didnt understand him..

I'll probably jsut reload the fedora installation and re-read how he fixed his aticonfig program..

Well i post up again when i find out some more stuff!

scotta3234
7th July 2006, 05:52 PM
If you just set up yum to use livna repositories all you have to do is do a "yum install kmod-fglrx" and you don't have to worry about running aticonfig or doing anything. just install and reboot. *note that this will not work with all environments, especially older systems such as radeon9xxx series.

v8s10blazer
8th July 2006, 04:24 AM
thanks for the tip mr scott! Im reloading the install now cause i really messed up gnomes window manager trying different things. Ill let everyone know how its goes!

v8s10blazer
8th July 2006, 06:53 AM
HELL YES I GOT IT WORKIN!!!

So here is what i did... First I had to reload my fedora core installation since i messed it up "forcing" some rpms to install... Not a good idea lol... So i got the ati driver again and ran it. It installed fine no problems... I took scotts tip and setup the repo to livna on yum. For those of you that dont know how to do that, you must visit livnas site and download their rpm that sets up the repo. Very easy... Then just type the yum command listed below..

So i installed those updates from yum:
yum install kmod-fglrx

It had a few other depenancys to download and the newest kernel. BUT! aticonfig would run after i got that installed! Neat... So i issued the command aticonfig --initial and it generated a new x server config... However X wouldnt start because of the whole "LCD display not being detected"..

So i was like well that sucks and searched the internet for some other options.. On an ubuntu forum theres a bunch of people with my problem listed here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-21386.html

It was a simpile fix... Apparently you cant use the ATI driver or something... From the forum heres what you
When this happened to me I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the device driver to "vesa".
The section looks like this: (this is the xorg.conf file located in /etc/X11/)
Where is says Driver "via" (in our case it said raedon) change it to vesa... Now restart your xserver or just restart your computer if you dont know how.

Section "Device"
Identifier "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video"
# I changed the following line from "via" to "vesa"
Driver "via"
Option "DisableIRQ"
Option "EnableAGPDMA"
EndSection

Now dont panic when it first loads the GDM, the screen will look all crazy for a second... But then it goes to normal...

Thanks everyone for reading! I hope my post helps someone else... OK now i must try to make a daily desktop out of this thing... Normally i juse use fedora as a server...

newgenetic
9th July 2006, 10:25 AM
Would you please post it here how you do everything in detail? Mine failed in yum install kmod-fglrx ? And I am still new to Linux (I can only do a few things)
What did you install before going into livna install?
Thanx v8s10blazer

v8s10blazer
10th July 2006, 08:41 AM
hey gen!
What was the exact error message when you did yum install kmod?

Other than installing an rpm from livna, nothing. I actually just saw you posted this and its very late here (3am) and i have class at 8am hahah... I have sleeping problems.. BUT I shall get back to you on this...

So copy and paste the error message for me

heres livnas website
http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html scroll down to FC5 and it will tell you how to setup yum for livna repos

Talk to you later, andy

newgenetic
10th July 2006, 06:11 PM
[root@localhost william]# yum install kmod-fglrx
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
livna [1/4]
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Trying other mirror.
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/5/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Trying other mirror.
http://wftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/livna/fedora/5/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Trying other mirror.
http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Trying other mirror.
ftp://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: livna
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from livna: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from livna: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

I have install livna-release-5.rpm. How many files did you download? What are they?
I don't believe that small file can heal my X200 driver.(default one works with great brigthness). I can't stand with that only. Doesn't really need 3D acceleration if is not possible to. Thanks for your help.
I will be back using my computer and internet next week. Until that day, I will not be able to reply. Sorry for that.

rje_nc
11th July 2006, 01:28 AM
You might want to try using the radeon driver instead of the vesa driver. 3D doesn't work with the Radeon Mobility chipset, but it works better than the vesa driver for me on my Compaq 2145US. This is working well for me under Slackware 10.2.

newgenetic
11th July 2006, 12:05 PM
You might want to try using the radeon driver instead of the vesa driver. 3D doesn't work with the Radeon Mobility chipset, but it works better than the vesa driver for me on my Compaq 2145US. This is working well for me under Slackware 10.2.
I have tried Radeon driver official version 8.25. Running sh command and reboot. Finished doing that, my X window turned to error and few apps cannot work well.
Would you describe how you install the official driver, since mine generate error : missing preconfigured module. Something like that. And what you did before you install the driver.

pjfg
12th July 2006, 02:55 PM
I've attached my /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It's a working config for an ATI 340M IGP on a Compaq pressario 2104EU at 1024x768 resolution. It is using the xorg "radeon" driver (3D is supported via DRI) since the official ATI driver (such as the one available from livna via yum) does not support the 320/340 IGP series.