PDA

View Full Version : Gnome switch user

sheep
5th July 2006, 07:29 AM
How do I switch users in Gnome? [i.e. like "logout" except all my programs are kept alive :)]

zephlyn
5th July 2006, 10:26 AM
Under FC4: Applications->System Tools->New Login
Under FC5 I have to edit the menu to display the New Login option. Right click on the menu bar in the panel for a option to edit it.

sheep
5th July 2006, 11:12 AM
Danke schon!

martin.sourada
14th July 2006, 11:44 AM
Under FC4: Applications->System Tools->New Login
Under FC5 I have to edit the menu to display the New Login option. Right click on the menu bar in the panel for a option to edit it.

So do I, but is there any way how to switch between two users already logged on? Or I have to log out first to return to the first user? And what happens if I have two user logged on at the same time and the one which uses PC at the time try to shut down the computer? Will the other user be logged out properly or not?

gtr225
15th September 2006, 01:39 AM
When you are on the second login, try hitting atl+crtl+ F5-F12 and one of those should get you back to the other login. Each logged in session is assigned one of those F keys and to switch you just hit alt+ctrl+ the assigned F Key.

Dan
15th September 2006, 02:08 AM
Huh! Thanks gtr, I didn't know that!

Dan

gtr225
15th September 2006, 02:19 AM
Your welcome. Now does anyone know how to have two or more accounts logged on and allow all of them access to the soundcard?

martin.sourada
15th September 2006, 12:27 PM
When you are on the second login, try hitting atl+crtl+ F5-F12 and one of those should get you back to the other login. Each logged in session is assigned one of those F keys and to switch you just hit alt+ctrl+ the assigned F Key.

Yes, this work. But for me it is ctrl+alt+ F7-F12. Thanks

martin.sourada
15th September 2006, 12:29 PM
Your welcome. Now does anyone know how to have two or more accounts logged on and allow all of them access to the soundcard?

That is very bad problem. I thing gnome hasn't implemented it. :( That would be great if it works...

gtr225
15th September 2006, 04:29 PM
Yea I guess it's F7-F12, I just never knew exactly which ones it was, I was just blindly hitting them to get the different sessions. But as far as the sound card, from what I understand it has to do with permissions. So I suppose you would need to change the permissons for the sound card.

jim
15th September 2006, 08:25 PM
i'm setting up a box for my brother and his family this feature is a must and the sound has to work on multiple logins. What permissions need to be changed and where to change them ?

KClaisse
3rd November 2006, 02:45 AM
Just wondering if this has a solution? Like on widowz you can just switch users. How does one do this? I have FC6.