PDA

View Full Version : critical temperature reached (121C)

pingoomax
3rd July 2006, 06:03 PM
Hi,

I have found my computer (it isn't a laptop) freezed this afternoon. The screen was black, and it was impossible to wake it up.
So I reboot it, and I got this message "critical temperature reached (121C)".
I had stopped it for 1 hour, and restart, but I got the same message a second time.
So I disassemble my pc, and clean it.

I can boot by passing "acpi=off" option to the kernel.
After one hour, there is no problem.
I reboot, the BIOS says that CPU temperature is 53C, but if I don't pass "acpi=off" I still receive the same message.

Does anyone know what occured?
Why it still believe that CPU temp is 121C?
(This computer runs FC4)

Thanks for your answers, and sorry for my bad english.

xerxesfedora
3rd July 2006, 06:16 PM
Could it be farhenheit ?

ilja
3rd July 2006, 06:19 PM
Is the fan ok? Try to clean it. Are you smoking or have a lot of dust in your room. 120 degree celsius is an unbelievable value... You really should not use your pc, before you find out what the fault is.

JoeyJoJoe
3rd July 2006, 06:47 PM
I've had a computer die because of this, the fan had gone I think and then it was just heating up far too much.

What I would suggest is that you change the cooling options so that you have the active trip level at about 55C - 60C and you can set it to auto-shutdown if it goes over 100 (which would be a better protection as I think at this level it shouldn't have done any damage yet)

"cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature" will tell you what the temp is at a given time... I think the trip values are in "/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/cooling_mode"... I'm unsure of how you'd go about changing them... although if you post the results of "cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/cooling_mode" maybe there might be more to say...

JoeyJoJoe
3rd July 2006, 06:51 PM
^actually its

cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points

put the results of that here....

pingoomax
3rd July 2006, 10:28 PM
Thank you to have answered so quickly.

1. No it's sure it's celsius
2. I haven't any directory /proc/acpi on this computer!! Why? I don't know!
3. It's sure that the CPU temperature isn't 121C. It's writen 53 in the BIOS ("PC heath status" section)
4. I've cleaned my computer. (It wasn't very dusty)

It is a bug of the acpi?
I have the impression my computer reach the critcal level, but the acpi is now blocked, and don't let my PC start if acpi=on.

Perhaps if I uninstall every acpi packages, and re-install its, it will works. Do you know which they are?
I have read, that it could be a problem this the version of my BIOS. I'll try to update it tomorrow.

JoeyJoJoe
3rd July 2006, 10:41 PM
as I understand it the names of the folders can vary... although I've not checked it out maybe this site might be able to help;

http://acpi.sourceforge.net/index.html

icydog
3rd July 2006, 10:50 PM
53 and 121 are pretty far apart. When I have this problem I just touch the CPU heatsink to figure out the temperature (remembering to discharge any static on the case first). 121 will instantly burn my finger upon contact, and 53 is pretty hot but its cool enough to leave your hand on without getting burned.

JoeyJoJoe
3rd July 2006, 11:35 PM
hmm, maybe thats not a bad idea, but I would't touch it with your finger... possibly a thermometer? 53 is still hot enough to hurt I'd think... at 121 you'll get a blister

icydog
3rd July 2006, 11:51 PM
Be careful though. Last time I tried that, the thermometer burst and mercury got all over the place. I don't think that stuff is great for your health. Also, 121 C is enough to cause any ordinary thermometer to burst. 53 probably won't.

pingoomax
4th July 2006, 10:15 AM
Finally I think it's a hardware problem.
After one nigth off, i still receive this message, with the same temperature.
I've tried with a liveCD, and it's the same.

Is it dangerous to run my computer with "acpi=off"?

daniel_owen_uk
4th July 2006, 11:39 AM
Be careful though. Last time I tried that, the thermometer burst and mercury got all over the place. I don't think that stuff is great for your health. Also, 121 C is enough to cause any ordinary thermometer to burst. 53 probably won't.

LOL don't try it with a oral thermometer then.

53 you can touch, it won't burn you.

121 you can't touch it will burn you.

So touch it and if it burns you, its 121.

Personally I doubt it hugely as 121 will probably fry the CPU instantly.

Dragoran
4th July 2006, 04:52 PM
what kind of cpu are you using?
does this happen if you leave the case open?
ignoring it (using acpi=off) is only a solution if you are sure that your cpu aren't that hot?

pingoomax
4th July 2006, 05:52 PM
My CPU is an AMD Athlon 2800+
and my mother board a Abit KD7A.

I had started my computer this morning, and I just reboot it, to check what are the values in the BIOS :
PWM temp is 58C
CPU temp is 53C

This values seems to be right, I checked with my finger.

So I'm sure that 121C isn't the right value. It can't be after a nigth turned off.
But why I still have this message?

rkm
3rd February 2007, 05:49 AM
Personally I think this is a kernel problem because I get the same error when my machine is stone cold! When I check the temps in the bios they are fine.

darkscript
17th March 2007, 02:20 AM
I have this problem too. It really is a bother... I didn't know about acpi=off, I would just keep rebooting untill it finally worked... I'm running a laptop, and It will do it when the sytem is stone cold...

it will have critical temp value statements hitting anywhere from 0c to 120c... in like a timespan of 20 seconds..so we know its wrong. and the computer is still running with low fan.

Thanks for the help though. I know how to boot it now.

ajamison
17th March 2007, 03:18 AM
I am no expert but at least on a windows system ACPI is not a big deal to have enabled. I just started with linux so i am not sure if it is the same for linux as it is for windows but basically acpi is used to manage how you computer uses the power it receives. If you are 100% certain that your cpu is not really 121 then i would say acpi off is not a problem as the only real drawback i see to not having it is that you will not be alerted if the temp in your case reaches critical levels.

This is just the view of someone that is fairly good at stuff like this in windows and if i am not mistake acpi is a universal standard.

**WARNING** If you decide to run long periods of time with it off though make sure to keep an eye on your case temp as this can not be monitored once the kernel has loaded without acpi being on. Also this is just my opinion not that of an expert if you are unsure of the above advice simply ignore it.

lmo
17th March 2007, 04:38 AM
On my system, at boot, I can press <DEL> to get to bios setup screens. I am not sure, but I think there may be a screen that shows temperature and fan rpms.