PDA

View Full Version : I broke KDE

sammyd253
3rd July 2006, 02:40 PM
Hey all... Basically what happened is this:

I used KDE for awhile, set things up the way I liked and all. Then I wanted to try out GNOME, so I booted into it. When GNOME loaded, I had 2 home folders, 2 system browsers, and 2 trash cans on my desktop. Thinking I wouldn't need the KDE folders, I deleted them, hoping to just remove them from the GNOME desktop. Well I rebooted into KDE and low and behold, I have no home folder/trash bin/or system browser on my desktop. Did I mess it up completely? Or is there a way I can fix this?

chandan
3rd July 2006, 02:52 PM
Nothing to worry about. They are just desktop shortcuts (or links) . You can get them back by drag(ing)-and-drop(ing) the same icons from the "K" menu.

tomcat
3rd July 2006, 02:55 PM
If you didn't empty trash in gnome, you can move the icons/folders back and KDE should be back to normal. If you don't wan to see KDE icons on Gnome's desktop, then change the icon size in nautilus to e.g. 25%, then move the KDE icons near the border and change the icon size back to e.g. 75 or 100%. Thus the KDE icons won't be visible and annoying. Not really a fix but a "dirty workaround".

tejas
3rd July 2006, 03:40 PM
Wasn't this fixed in FC5?

sammyd253
3rd July 2006, 06:22 PM
Apparently not, since I am using FC5 with all the latest updates.

Craig Pemberton
3rd July 2006, 08:44 PM
you could reinstall kde?

Mat
4th July 2006, 12:03 AM
you could reinstall kde?
which would be over the top, since he's apparently only missing some desktop icons