PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner Card and Modem

mac23
3rd July 2006, 10:56 AM
I have installed Fedora Core 5 recently. Thank God my sound card is detected, previously, Fedora Core 3 was unable to do that. But even here I am unable to configure my dial-up modem and TV-Tuner Card.

What utilities are available to configure these pieces of hardware? The networking utlity system-config-network is for ethernet card and not for dial-up modem. Isn't there any way to configure my modem? And my TV Tuner Card?

The gcc version is 4.1.0 and I am not able to install MPlayer as it says this version is not supported by MPlayer. Isn't there any way by which I can install MPlayer without degrading gcc to earlier version which is supported by MPlayer?

jtang613
3rd July 2006, 05:16 PM
You need to determine which TV Tuner card / chipset you have, and whether or not it is compatible with Linux.
Try starting here:
http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Main_Page

hth,
Jason

mac23
3rd July 2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks Jason.

I don't think it is supported by Linux. I can live without my TV tuner card.

What I really want is a way to install my dial up modem.

jtang613
3rd July 2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks Jason.

I don't think it is supported by Linux. I can live without my TV tuner card.

What I really want is a way to install my dial up modem.
I would bet otherwise. Linux has very good tuner support. You won't know for certain until you check.

As for modems - not my area of expertise. But my undertsanding is that there are two main types: hardware modems, and software modems (a.k.a. win-modems). Hardware modems are identifiable by their size and price - slightly larger, more circuity / components, cost between $60 - $100. Software modems are usually small and simple cards like AMR cards or built-in. They usually consist of one controller chip and a few passive components, they are usually very cheap ~ $30. I suspect you have a software modem. Hardware modems are pretty much guaranteed to work - they are detected as a serial device like /dev/ttyS0. Software modems can be somewhat more complicated, although there is kernel support for a few of the more common chipsets. Best bet is to search the forums and Google.

m2c,
Jason