PDA

View Full Version : fedora or mandriva?

ant1her0
3rd July 2006, 07:32 AM
hi everyone,

faced a dillema recently.
it might be a little out there to ask which one is better on a fedora forum. nonetheless, i run a laptop which has a problem with a graphic display. from time to time it has blackouts. it really pushes my nerves, so i thought the problem might be in windows xp although all the drivers were installed properly. for the past 6 months i reinstalled it 21 times with formatting c drive. could you imagine?

anyway, i have two distributives of mandriva and fedora. i read that mandriva, aka mandrake, is excellent for beginners and i havent found any reviews on fedora. i cant make up my mind.

so how about a little voting?
i hope noone would suggest installing xp again? :confused:

aniketv
3rd July 2006, 07:38 AM
Fedora is also good for newbies , except for multimedia support. You can use Stanton Finley's guide to install multimedia support if you use fedora.

moonhyunjin
3rd July 2006, 09:15 AM
I don't think that fedora has low multimedia support. movie, music, online video etc.. almost that includes win32 codecs is possiable

Seve
3rd July 2006, 10:01 AM
hi everyone,

it might be a little out there to ask which one is better on a fedora forum. nonetheless, i run a laptop which has a problem with a graphic display. from time to time it has blackouts. it really pushes my nerves, so i thought the problem might be in windows xp although all the drivers were installed properly. for the past 6 months i reinstalled it 21 times with formatting c drive. could you imagine?

anyway, i have two distributives of mandriva and fedora. i read that mandriva, aka mandrake, is excellent for beginners and i havent found any reviews on fedora. i cant make up my mind.

Hello:
I am biased of course :) , however, you can always take some time and read the reviews here to help you make up your mind :http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=26
hth
Seve

tomcat
3rd July 2006, 02:38 PM
For a newcomer, my vote goes to Mandriva. For those that are more experienced, fedora is perhaps better. Just try both distros for a week and then decide yourself, which one you prefer most.

sheep
3rd July 2006, 02:39 PM
Fedora Core Linux.

jimbo-62
3rd July 2006, 03:05 PM
hi everyone,

So, you installed WinXP 32 times and you still think WinXP is responsible for your video problems?

Why don't you try one or two of the many Live CD distros?

Good luck, jimbo

ant1her0
3rd July 2006, 04:44 PM
So, you installed WinXP 32 times and you still think WinXP is responsible for your video problems?

Why don't you try one or two of the many Live CD distros?

Good luck, jimbo

21 times. i dunno what might be the problem with graphics, the only thing is that it appeared out of the blue. i thought that xp might be responsible because there are so many viruses now for pcs and xp particularly. it might have been a hardware virus or something.

i tried to install mandriva and i did. but then nothing was working there so i tried fedora. i had it for a week or so and then the same problem with graphics appeared. i tried to install drivers but for a newbie its not as easy.

icthy
3rd July 2006, 05:50 PM
I work with a scientist that had his grad students running mandriva, and then fedora, and they just switched back to mandriva My experience with fedora is that i spend a lot more time learning system administrative tasks than I thought (for instance, to go from FC3 to FC4 I had to learn LVM and SElinux; FC4 to FC5 broke my ATI driver). But I run FC5 for my research, and don't have much time to spend tweaking/ things. I suspect this is a linux thing, and not unique to Fedora.

xerxesfedora
3rd July 2006, 05:59 PM
I was using Fedora 5. But for a while I used Debian Sarge (stable). But It was very hard to install either screen card and 1280X1024 resolution and the sound card. I don't talk about other software (such as MP, mysql query bwowser ...)

With fedora 5 it is not easy as windows but with a little help of forum it can be done.

Now I came back to FC5 again

Al3xanR0
3rd July 2006, 08:30 PM
hi everyone,

Try both then formulate your own opinion. Think of it in terms of testing a car, sure i'll drive it and tell you all about it -but there is nothing like driving it yourself.

sultanoswing
3rd July 2006, 11:46 PM
i run a laptop which has a problem with a graphic display. from time to time it has blackouts.

Nope, I wouldn't suggest reinstalling windows XP, but that's besides the point - this sounds like a hardware-related issue such as overheating (most likely), or a bad power supply. I'd recommend Linux over XP for various reasons, but if this solves your problems, it'll be likely due to graphics card or CPU loading changes rather than any lack of viruses/trojans etc.

The nature of your problem and your assessment of its cause lead me to believe that Mandriva or Ubuntu would be a better bet for you, and you'd best stay well clear of Gentoo :)

slimdog360
4th July 2006, 05:47 AM
ive tried mandrivia, its horrible, but that aside your problem doesnt sound like a windows problem. Its most likely a hardware issue.