PDA

View Full Version : madwifi broken since 2122?

figgles
2nd July 2006, 07:55 PM
I had been prudent in the past regarding upgrading my kernel and madwifi. I wish I had been at 2122. Since 2133 and greater, my madwifi drivers don't work. I had posted earlier about this and since I hadn't received feedback, I figured on performing a complete erase and reinstall of FC5. I'm typing in my re-installed FC5 environment, but it is lacking a working madwifi driver for my DWL-G650.

I have followed everything to the letter as in the past:

Install and upgrade to latest kernel
Enable atrpms and install madwifi using yum
Update the modprobe.conf accordingly
Add the atheros wireless card in the system-config-network dialog
Modify the settings for my WAP

In the past that was all I needed to do. Now, clicking on "Activate" for the wireless card connection renders a "failed" result. dmesg shows "ath0: no IPv6 routers present" but I don't have IPv6 enabled in the network settings.

I would dearly appreciate any help on this!

Thanks in advance

figgles
2nd July 2006, 11:56 PM
I am desperate to fix this issue. My laptop is nearly meaningless without wifi. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

mattgolder
3rd July 2006, 07:54 AM
Hi, I have same card and same issue. The new kernel kernel-2.6.17-1.2139 appears broke for this. I Tried with both the modules from livna repo and also recompile of latest code of madwifi from cvs. I think the quick workaround for this is to install the old kernel kernel-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5 and associated madwifi kernel modules. I still had mine from upgrading so booting old kernel worked for me. Not sure what to do to find the underlying problem :-(

figgles
3rd July 2006, 01:00 PM
Hi, I have same card and same issue. The new kernel kernel-2.6.17-1.2139 appears broke for this.

Thanks for your help. I don't mind rolling back but I can't find a repository with older madwifi drivers. I tried compiling my own, but that was a horrible mess. Where did you get your madwifi drivers?

mattgolder
5th July 2006, 11:12 PM
Where did you get your madwifi drivers?

I got my drivers from livna, originally, I think they were still installed. I also had compiled my own when using a kernel from the suspend2 repo. (depending on whether I was using stock fedora kernel or trying out suspend2 where I needed to compile madwifi.)

try http://washington.kelkoo.net/ftp/pub/mirrors/livna/fedora/5/i386/ this has some of the older drivers still. It's not what I used, but appears to have the older versions there.

mrunge
10th July 2006, 06:39 AM
Hello,

looks like you are not alone. I 'solved' this by recompiling madwifi and installing only the modules (make install-modules).

This is not a real fix, but it works as expected. (checkout source via svn, type make and make install-modules, done)

Matthias

figgles
10th July 2006, 05:29 PM
looks like you are not alone. I 'solved' this by recompiling madwifi and installing only the modules (make install-modules).

This is not a real fix, but it works as expected. (checkout source via svn, type make and make install-modules, done)

MatthiasThanks for the suggestion, which I'll try tonight. I tried compiling in the past but I kept hitting compilation issues that were over my head (which is easy to do) I will try the method you outline, though.

With much gratitude,
Kyle

mrunge
11th July 2006, 07:53 AM
@figgles: there's a lot of documentation out there on how to compile madwifi yourself. If you continue to experience troubles, let me know and I'll send you my kernel modules.