PDA

View Full Version : MySQL gives me the fallowing error "ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'start'"

Rockafella
2nd July 2006, 03:34 AM
I updated MySQL to the latest version. I go to terminal and type mysql start and I recieve the fallowing error message "ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'start'" Can someone please tell me how to resolve this? I am new to Linux and have been searching. I can't figure it out.
Thanks,
Rocky

Update: I started the mysql service and it returned OK. I tried creating a database called muskieotter using the following command create database [muskieotter]; I get this new error message mysql> create database [muskieotter];
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '[muskieotter]' at line 1

LLS
2nd July 2006, 03:59 AM
Go here and using your files and url locations, follow all the directions on the mysql configure section.
http://www.lamphowto.com/lamp.htm

icydog
2nd July 2006, 08:17 AM
Seems like you already figured this out, but to start/stop mysql you do (as root) service mysqld start or service mysqld stop.

To make the database you do
mysql> create database muskieotter

The docs have [database] to tell you to insert the name of the database there. Don't copy the [].