PDA

View Full Version : stupid

Crux
2nd July 2006, 01:56 AM
I know this is a stupid question, have done it before but forgot. I did a search with no results, or bogus ones. But here it is..

How can I start an app; i,e, gdesklets, on boot...

-ducking tossed monitors-

i know it's a nOOb question, however I could not find an answer..

I've done it before, just forgot how..
thanks,
ed

Wayne
2nd July 2006, 02:10 AM
I know this is a stupid question, have done it before but forgot. I did a search with no results, or bogus ones. But here it is..

How can I start an app; i,e, gdesklets, on boot...

-ducking tossed monitors-

i know it's a nOOb question, however I could not find an answer..

I've done it before, just forgot how..
thanks,
ed

Panel menu > Desktop > Preferences > More Preferences > Sessions > Startup Programs

:D

Wayne

Crux
2nd July 2006, 02:17 AM
Panel menu > Desktop > Preferences > More Preferences > Sessions > Startup Programs

:D

Wayne

thanks,, howeveri see no 'panel menu', nor the other tree you speak of.. Fedora Core 5 if that helps.
Thanks,
Ed

Wayne
2nd July 2006, 02:26 AM
thanks,, howeveri see no 'panel menu', nor the other tree you speak of.. Fedora Core 5 if that helps.
Thanks,
Ed

Are you running KDE or Gnome? If Gnome don't you have a Panel? (windows taskbar thing)
Mine says: 'Application Place Desktop'

Wayne

sairuk
2nd July 2006, 02:53 AM
Desktop menu is System Menu in fc5

Crux
2nd July 2006, 03:24 AM
Are you running KDE or Gnome? If Gnome don't you have a Panel? (windows taskbar thing)
Mine says: 'Application Place Desktop'

Wayne

Thanks KDE 5.x. I know, 'stupid' question, I've done it; run apps at startup, but I am in a farking brain lock..

Being Canada Day, and 8 brews into a 24 does not help. LOL!!

Thanks,
Ed

Wayne
2nd July 2006, 03:28 AM
Thanks KDE 5.x. I know, 'stupid' question, I've done it; run apps at startup, but I am in a farking brain lock..

Being Canada Day, and 8 brews into a 24 does not help. LOL!!

Thanks,
Ed

It's usually helpful to mention the desktop environment you're using :D As I haven't used KDE since Mandrake 2005 I can't remember but someone else is sure to know. :)

Now, how about lobbing a couple of those brews this away! :eek:

Wayne

Crux
2nd July 2006, 03:49 AM
-lobbing, cheers, salute, and FIRE WORKS-!!!

I'll figure it, just thought I'd give a quick ask.. Apparently nobody knows thoug, lots of views, no answers..
My thread, my hijack... DRINK AND BE MERRY!!!
Not 'mary' though, unless you float that way..

ROFL!!!
/stupid off

Wayne
2nd July 2006, 03:58 AM
-lobbing, cheers, salute, and FIRE WORKS-!!!

I'll figure it, just thought I'd give a quick ask.. Apparently nobody knows thoug, lots of views, no answers..
My thread, my hijack... DRINK AND BE MERRY!!!
Not 'mary' though, unless you float that way..

ROFL!!!
/stupid off

OK. Google for 'kde autostart' That should do it! What the hell, here's the answer!

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs

/me takes a large swig of brew..... :p

It must be 5pm *somewhere* in the world! It's only 11:58am here :rolleyes:

Wayne

Crux
2nd July 2006, 04:20 AM
OK. Google for 'kde autostart' That should do it! What the hell, here's the answer!

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs

/me takes a large swig of brew..... :p

It must be 5pm *somewhere* in the world! It's only 11:58am here :rolleyes:

Wayne

Thanks Wayne... Will try that.. It's 11:18 pm here.. the beauty of starting a thread, is you can hijack it. ROFL!!!

-cheers-

Crux
2nd July 2006, 04:26 AM
ppffsstt.. this is Fedora Core 5, there MUST be a GUI way to do this... Unles Red Hat is dropping the ball.
-ducking TCP/IP packets-
ROFL!!!

I clicked on 'autorun' but it just exited with an execution faliure...

Wayne
2nd July 2006, 04:59 AM
ppffsstt.. this is Fedora Core 5, there MUST be a GUI way to do this... Unles Red Hat is dropping the ball.
-ducking TCP/IP packets-
ROFL!!!

I clicked on 'autorun' but it just exited with an execution faliure...

If you were using Gnome then there is a GUI way but there isn't in KDE. It's not Fedora's fault. Tell the KDE devs you want a GUI autostart config option :D I'm surprised though because with KDE you can change the colour and style of every last widget.

Wayne

Crux
2nd July 2006, 06:49 AM
If you were using Gnome then there is a GUI way but there isn't in KDE. It's not Fedora's fault. Tell the KDE devs you want a GUI autostart config option :D I'm surprised though because with KDE you can change the colour and style of every last widget.

Wayne

ROFLAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Yeah, I can make a menu 'transpaaret' but can't autorun a app..

I am 9 into a 24 of Lakers, so it's my thread, my hijack. LOL!!!!!
HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
d

w5set
2nd July 2006, 07:39 AM
add an entry to
/ect/rc.d/rc.local
and yeah that's one of the problems with using KDE desktop--no easy gui that I know of--and I could be just uninformed as usual on that.
But the old editing of this file will get it to start at each bootup.
Or possibly adding a link/script to "users_home"/.kde/Autostart
could work just as well?

Crux
2nd July 2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks all. Tried that just now W5, no joy. I just made a link on the desktop for it. No frets, it's not an 'important' service, so no real need for 'autoload'.

Thanks again.
Crux