PDA

View Full Version : :confused: ATI graphical card fan speed

qinhan
28th June 2006, 08:19 PM
I'm using FC5 x86. I have an ATI x700 pro graphical card running with fglrx driver. I've noticed that whenever Xwindow is running, the fan speed of the graphical card goes very high and it generates loud noise. When running windows, the fan speed is usually low unless I play some 3D game for a while. Anyone has noticed the same problem? Is there anyway to control the fan speed of the G card? Thanks.

--Han

multescugeorge@
14th June 2007, 04:24 PM
I've been searching for a solution too, i have a ati x1950pro one and after i installed the proprietary driver the fan got louder, vesa driver doesn't make the fan speed increase (in my case)

suse_10.3
24th October 2007, 01:20 PM
I have exactly the same problem. I'm running suse 10.3 with ati mobility x700. I had no such problem back in suse 10.2 (which I had an older ati driver)

But with the new version it seems that the driver does not have any control on stopping the fan and it somehow doesn't let bios
control it either. Any solutions are highly appreciated

Dangermouse
24th October 2007, 02:12 PM
Hello this may help, but bear in mind i have not done this myself as i do not have a ati card.
if you tap in a kernel

aticonfig --lsp
this will give you a list of available powerstates and to change the current powerstate

aticonfig --set-powerstate=?
? need to be whatever powerstate num you choose, but dont blame me if your card overheats from too low state etc

suse_10.3
24th October 2007, 03:06 PM
Hello this may help, but bear in mind i have not done this myself as i do not have a ati card.
if you tap in a kernel

this will give you a list of available powerstates and to change the current powerstate

? need to be whatever powerstate num you choose, but dont blame me if your card overheats from too low state etc

Well I tried the "aticonfig –lsp" command before and this is what I get:

Error: Unable to obtain POWERplay information.

as a consequence, I can't set any power state as well.

Any comments?

Dangermouse
24th October 2007, 04:06 PM
Have a look here you should be able to work it out
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=164444&highlight=ati+noisy