PDA

View Full Version : The XP "My Documents" Folder

Jongi
27th June 2006, 06:32 PM
I have this folder on the shared FAT32 drive (/mnt/Share/My Documents). Thing is I can write to all parts of that partition except the one that has My Documents. What is XP doing to this folder to prevent me being able to write to it. I suspect the easiest solution would be to unpoint is as the My Documents in XP but that is not the solution I would prefer.

aero-z
27th June 2006, 06:36 PM
I think that the thing is the space between the words. it should be /mnt/Share/"My Documents"
This is only my opinion - not sure but you can try.

wdgiles
27th June 2006, 06:36 PM
You could be mounting it with the wrong permissions. Can you post the contents of your /etc/fstab to show how it's being mounted?

aero-z
27th June 2006, 06:37 PM
And yes ofc, permissions might be the issue also :)

Jongi
27th June 2006, 06:54 PM
oh. the FAT32 drive is mounted as /mnt/Share. Therefore the My Documents is a sub folder. Oh and the folder is actually "/mnt/Share/My Stuff". So for instance when I am in OpenOffice (Calc or , I can save in /mnt/Share but not in "/mnt/Share/My Stuff".

/dev/hdd1 /mnt/Share vfat rw,users,umask=0 0 0

The ls output is

dr-xr-xr-x 25 root root 24576 Jun 27 19:07 My Stuff

So then I tried to change permissions:

# chown jongi: "My Stuff"/
chown: changing ownership of `My Stuff/': Operation not permitted

paperdiesel
27th June 2006, 07:10 PM
Jongi, you have to change the way you look at these FAT32 names. Remember, the raw filesystem sees long file and directory names DIFFERENTLY than the way you see them. For example, the "My Documents" folder is actually represented in the filesystem as mydocu~1. The raw FAT32 filesystem still uses the ancient 8 letter / 3 suffix method of the old DOS days.

Try mounting it as /mnt/Share/mydocu~1 and tell us how it goes.

Jongi
27th June 2006, 07:30 PM
I can write to the folder with no problems as root so I doubt the problem is how the directory name is represented.

Jongi
28th June 2006, 05:26 PM
How's this for strange. When using OOo, I can open an existing file in the folder and be able to save changes to it. But if I try to save it as a different name, I get error messages.

I can also create a file as root using vi, but not as a normal user.