PDA

View Full Version : No sound with kernel 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

borchen
27th June 2006, 04:15 PM
I just upgraded to the latest kernel, 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5, and somehow sound is not working. When I open the "Soundcard Detection" program I now suddenly have two soundcards to choose from, the first one is the onboard VIA soundcard and the second one the SB Audigy. This is weird because I have disabled the onboard sound in the bios. When I choose the SB Audigy I am not able to configure it at all...

When I do a 'diff' of the 'lspci' command of the two installed kernels I get the following output:

> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
> 00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80)
Somehow the newer kernel detects a disabled soundcard, which is probably very powerfull, but not what I want/expect ;)

EDIT: I just managed to get sound working by editing /etc/modprobe.conf;
I changed the following line:
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
into:
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

Hey presto! And there was sound (again)

NOTE: I just tried this 'wonderfull" "Soundcard Detection" program again. but all it did was shutting down sound again! To get it working I had to set the "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" switch back to analog in the "Volume Control --> Switches tab".

borchen
17th July 2006, 10:48 PM
If the above solution does not work, try adding the following line to "/etc/modprobe.conf"

"options snd-via82xx index=1"

For more info about this bug:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=196558

Stone Dragon
10th August 2006, 10:14 PM
It IS weird, because I have disabled my via-board-sound too in the bios. How is the kernel able to recognize it anyway?

This is, what my lspci gives (sadly, I don't remember, if it did recognize it before..):

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)

sturmvogel
12th August 2006, 08:39 PM
Yup---ditto for me---Asus board, SB card, onboard sound disabled---FC 2.6.17.xxxx uses disabled onboard sound and disables the SB card. I reinstalled the FC 2.6.15.xxxx from my burnt CDs and do not update the core releases. This has been a month long problem that has not been fixed. Pain in the ass....

Dumbledore
12th August 2006, 09:16 PM
I believe that the kernel has direct access to all hardware on the computer, regardless of what the BIOS and CMOS know. It's like if I'm installing an operating system on a second hard drive and disable the first one in the BIOS to do it, the installer still always asks me if I want to install on the first one or the second one (and it usually overwrites the boot menu on the first one even if I say I don't want to touch it). The BIOS of most PC's was designed exclusively for Microsoft operating systems, and never intended for use with UNIX, so there's a little bit of a non-critical compatibility problem.

sturmvogel
12th August 2006, 09:58 PM
All well and good, but there were no problems with 2.6.16 and before. With 2.6.17 the onboard sound is activated to the detriment of the preferred card. Cannot even get it to work in the soundcard detection program. What did they do in this release that was not a problem in previous releases?

Stone Dragon
12th August 2006, 11:39 PM
sturmvogel, did the modprobe alias workaround work for you? In my case it did.

sturmvogel
13th August 2006, 01:49 AM
I didn't try it---I just did a reinstall of FC 5 2.6.15 that I burnt on Cds and didn't do any core updates using the update utility. I'm not really a gearhead---takes me awhile just to open a tar file to install a program, even with directions on how to do it!!! :) But looking at imminent dropped support by MS on my Win2K (after they release their new OS) has forced me to look at other OS systems for use in my small business. I just gotta learn to do some of these fixes and the developers need to make Linux a little more non-technical and get more drivers for peripheral hardware. I am willing to hang with this until the day MS drops their Win2K support---Linux/Fedora is almost there for functional business use---I'm hoping it will be functional by that time.

Stone Dragon
14th August 2006, 10:14 AM
Oh, cool. (K)ubuntu would be even a bit more user-friendly for you I guess.
And the thing with the hardware drivers (primarily with the wlan stuff) goes as a big BOOOH to the hardware producers themselves, which are mostly completely ignorant to the linux-users out there...

sturmvogel
14th August 2006, 01:26 PM
Well, I've been contacting hardware and peripheral producers like HP and telling them I am switching my business to Linux and will be using peripherals that work with Linux---no matter the manufacturer. They get enough of those, then they may be inclined to do something past Windblows.

wshawn
14th August 2006, 01:30 PM
It IS weird, because I have disabled my via-board-sound too in the bios. How is the kernel able to recognize it anyway?

All modern OS's have the ability to "replace" the bios with a Hardware layer and directly handle hardware. One with a bug might not catch the enable / disable part...

wshawn
14th August 2006, 01:33 PM
Well, I've been contacting hardware and peripheral producers like HP and telling them I am switching my business to Linux and will be using peripherals that work with Linux---no matter the manufacturer. They get enough of those, then they may be inclined to do something past Windblows.

HP has invested billions in Open Source over the last few years. I think their computers are second rate, but may look at them for their linux servers...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/hpLinuxcert.html (Not selling their stuff -- just for a point of reference)

Stone Dragon
14th August 2006, 02:10 PM
If only their notebooks and pc would support that too like this ;-)

commonplace
27th August 2006, 02:05 AM
To get it working I had to set the "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" switch back to analog in the "Volume Control --> Switches tab".

THANK YOU!! This resolved my sound problem. I was trying everything and it turned out to be a simple checkbox. Whew! Thanks again.

wneumann
27th August 2006, 03:30 AM
Just a warning for future readers of this post. There have been other threads mentioning that the soundcard detection program destroys their sound. And it has always done so for me.

sturmvogel
27th August 2006, 03:34 AM
Yup---The 2.6.17xxxx version consistently causes the sound card to stop working. Onboard soundcrd is the only one that works. I have repeated this about 5 to 6 times on two different Asus motherboard and SB soundcard combinations with the same result.

commonplace
27th August 2006, 12:40 PM
It was definitely true in my case. My fault, too -- sound was working fine, and I just wanted to check out the soundcard detection to see what it did. Big mistake! I was kicking myself big time.

hunterd557
29th August 2006, 11:44 AM
I guess I'm simply an exception :confused:

I was way confused when I first put FC5 on, I made sure I had the latest release before installing and I made sure that my stats were up to spec before installing simply due to the fact that I simply want to completely rid myself of all need to use anything Microsoft shy of an XBOX (which uses Linux anyway :cool: )

Anyway, long story short, I was frustrated with FC5 defaulting to my OB sound so I simply went into my bios and disabled pretty much everything OB (to include my OB ethernet which was an annoyance more than anything).

When I booted back into FC5 (GNOME) and ran the Sound Card Detector I was amazed to see all of my options for my card and that it was ACTUALLY the default. Oh yeah, I was happy!

Just to test things, I logged out, restarted and logged back in. Popped in a CD with some MP3s on it and smiled from ear to ear as Bon Jovi blasted from the JBL's. I did my dance of joy and decided to share my "success story" of sorts.

You guys (FedoraForum members) have been VITAL to the success of my FC5 install, without this site, I wouldn't have EVER been able to boot into FC5, LOL!

Now....all I need to do is figure out how to get my Linksys wireless USB (which I'm currently searching on this forum) to work on FC5, I'm new to the whole porting and converting from Windows to Linux thing. NDISWRAPPER is scary to me for now! LOL

-Dave