PDA

View Full Version : Monitor and video card with Fedora

StanMan
4th April 2004, 05:37 PM
I just installed Fedora (first time user).

All went well on the install, but my specific monitor isn't listed and it's choosing a different video card.

According to the video card, it is a 'Diamond Fire 1k Pro AGP ATX 8T3' and my monitor is an NEC AccuSync LCD7v.

I chose generic LCD 1280x1024 monitor and I'm only allowed to use max 800x600 resolution and 256 colors.

Any suggestions?

sigusr
6th April 2004, 03:17 AM
Welcome to Linux. Hardware detection is improving but not perfect. Have you tried expert mode install? This will allow you to specify the video card, monitor and network card during the install. If you know what they are and if they are listed. I know this is a very un Linux suggestion but sometimes a fresh install is easier than repairing a bad install. (a trick I l learned from Windows)

I hope this helps.

StanMan
6th April 2004, 04:03 AM
Actually I dumped Fedora and installed Mandrake... It's all very confusing to me.

Trying to figure out how to get Samba running now (with no luck)

Thanks

matty2kk4
6th April 2004, 11:05 AM
FWIW:

I as well had a heck of a time gettng X to run...
I''m coming online w/Fedora Core1 from MDK8.1

I am very happy, tho the MDK install had no issues with my video.

hope the below can help those with similar monitor/resolution problems, and I have a question regarding a glitch that I'm trying to iron out :

1) interestingly redhat-config-xfree86 did _not_ spawn a gui for me,
2) What did work - finally - was to run "XFree86 -configure" this generated a working version of XF86Config that was then copied to /etc/X11, where it should live.:

[FYI>>>choose interactive startup, when prompted during system boot, did _not_ allow firstboot to run
(X still tries to start and blanks my screen, even though I disabled Graphical from "init" and removed rhgb from kernel arg @ grub)
>>> login to text mode by selecting CTL_ALT-F1 (different screen) then firstboot had to be disabled completely (I dont remember where/how I did that - its a bit of a blur there)]

gdm caused me some grief at first as well, preventing my updated XF86Config from working. I had to "kill" gdm-binary and X from a text-mode login before the system successfully loaded my settings.

Still trying to troubleshoot why I cannot go beyong 640X480 res. - seems that the system does not send the right sync frequencies to my monitor for any higher res.

I have also not been able to modify my video card from within the GUI. (the problem that I was having with redhat-config-xfree86 fom the command line has something to do with this I think)

??? anyone help on this one?

thanks in advance,
Mat

matty2kk4
7th April 2004, 04:43 AM
again FWIW:

I am able to use other screen resolutions after having modified "UseBios" to "NO" in XF86Config.

BTW - I was advised to use XF86-SVGA (v3) so I downgraded from the stock Fedora XF86 (v4.x) which has problems with cinfiguring/recognizing my VideoCard (VIAKM266/VT8235)

Kilo
7th April 2004, 02:15 PM
Well Fedora did a slightly better job of detection with my set-up. It's recognised the Riva TNT2 video card. I've told it that I've got a generic 1280x1024 display.

Yet the maximum resolution it offers me is 1152x864.

This is quite frustrating, given this exact hardware ran fine at 1280x1024 on windows.

Any ideas please anyone?!