PDA

View Full Version : Messed up screen (with pics)

EngineerJoe
27th June 2006, 12:38 AM
The best way to describe what happens to my display when I boot up FC5 is to show everybody a picture (link below). It doesn't always do it but usually when it does, restarting the computer solves the problem. I would like to know what could cause this to happen.

I have recently installed the ATI drivers from livna.org, but I've had this problem before I did this installation.

Pic Here (http://pics.livejournal.com/engineerjoe/pic/000017p2)

juan
27th June 2006, 06:35 AM
Does it do this since the beginning or just when you boot fedora.

The reason I mention this is because that has happened to me on several occasions but it starts at the second the computer turns on. Hence it was a hardware malfunction, that I believe is due to it being slightly ( just slightly ) loose, but I can't tighten the card anymore. Like your problem, I too have to restart ( usually shutdown, then power it up again ). In this case, it's not a software issue. Maybe you have the same issue?

Though, my card is an NVIDIA.

Mat
27th June 2006, 08:24 AM
when you turn on the laptop in the morning, does it do that too?
if not, it could be it is getting to hot??

Mat

EngineerJoe
27th June 2006, 03:31 PM
Does it do this since the beginning or just when you boot fedora.
The entire graphical boot sequence is fine, and then once it gets to the boot screen, this happens. Although it could be because Ati-fglrx is the 2nd last thing loaded before the boot screen. Unfortunatly, it did this before the livna drivers were installed properly.

It'll also do this (also, not too frequently) once the boot sequence has shifted into text mode during the shutdown sequence.

when you turn on the laptop in the morning, does it do that too?
if not, it could be it is getting to hot??

Mat
Hmmm....... I never thought of that (even though this is a very logical assumption). I have never noticed this upon booting up early in the morning, it always happens when the laptop is warm, but there is a reason for that:

The laptop gets hot pretty fast and with how much time I spend on here, I only have the time for one cold-start per day, but I have multiple reboots after the compute has warmed up (since I'm new to FC5 and it's new to me, I'm still in the process of configuring it to the way I want it, I expect it's gonna take a lifetime or so, not because I'm slow, just because I will always be looking to get more from my computer). Basically, if a day contains 10 restarts, 9 will be with the computer at full temp. The frequency of this problem is low. Low enough that 10 restarts a day may yield this boot screen once every two days at most.

The infrequency of this problem is good because that makes it just a minor nuisance, but it's bad because it seems like there's no consistency and difficult to locate the source of the problem.

treak007
29th June 2006, 12:57 AM
that happened to me the first time i booted my laptop. I turned it off, rebooted and it worked fine afterwards. Something to do with ati drivers

Iron_Mike
29th June 2006, 04:05 AM
The best way to describe what happens to my display when I boot up FC5 is to show everybody a picture (link below). It doesn't always do it but usually when it does, restarting the computer solves the problem. I would like to know what could cause this to happen.

I have recently installed the ATI drivers from livna.org, but I've had this problem before I did this installation.

Pic Here (http://pics.livejournal.com/engineerjoe/pic/000017p2)

Even though I haven't had this for a long time, it appears to be a horizontal frequency glitch with the ATI drivers especially with my laptop. Once in a while I'll get it, but just reboot or hit logon as a different user and this will usually clear it.

EngineerJoe
1st July 2006, 09:17 PM
Usually a reboot clears it write up. I was hoping somebody would know of an alternate solution to this glitch, but it's not too annoying. Hopefully it'll be fixed in a future yum update

Tuxic
2nd July 2006, 05:25 AM
Usually a reboot clears it write up. I was hoping somebody would know of an alternate solution to this glitch, but it's not too annoying. Hopefully it'll be fixed in a future yum update

Hmm, I think I have the solution to your issue, but not sure, let's try this as root :

$ mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.old

$ logout

Xserver should give you an error message at startup and then it should create a fresh xorg.conf file for you and use that , if after that you are still having problems :

$ mv /etc/X11/xorg.old /etc/X11/xorg.conf

$ logout

then you will need to go through the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and see if the refresh rates in it are within the limit that your hardware / screen supports.

Tuxic