PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird and hotmail

sammyd253
26th June 2006, 11:45 PM
Hey all, I'm new to the forums and I'm new to Fedora Core 5. I must say, I'm pretty happy with the way things are going in my experiences with the OS. Since I'm just getting a feel for things, such as trying to perform my day to day Windows tasks on my Linux setup, I wanted to know if it was possible to set up Thunderbird so that I could access my hotmail account messages from it. The only reason I ask is because in Windows, I use Outlook. I've looked at both Thunderbird and Evolution in Linux, and I don't really have a preference to either one. Basically, I just want to be able to use an E-mail client to check my hotmail account. Thanks in advance and I hope that someone can help! :)

aero-z
27th June 2006, 12:01 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I'm pretty sure that the only client supporting Hotmail is Outlook

sentry
27th June 2006, 12:08 AM
Their are other options look into hotwayd and gotmail

Good luck

sentry
27th June 2006, 12:09 AM
There are other options, look into hotwayd and gotmail

Good luck

jim
27th June 2006, 12:19 AM
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq

Can I access my Netscape WebMail or Hotmail accounts through Thunderbird?

No. Netscape WebMail and Hotmail use proprietary protocols. To access WebMail directly through an e-mail client requires you to use Netscape 6+ with AIM; to do so with Hotmail requires either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. Of course, you can access your WebMail account on the Web at http://webmail.netscape.com/, or Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com/.

sammyd253
27th June 2006, 12:47 AM
Well that stinks, oh well... I'll still look into those recommended programs. I guess I can always still try setting something up with Evolution. Thanks though for all the replies! :)

LLS
27th June 2006, 01:33 AM
This would be one of the reasons we are forced to keep dual booting our machines which isn't too hard with plenty support here for that.

sammyd253
29th June 2006, 04:18 AM
Originally Posted by LLS
This would be one of the reasons we are forced to keep dual booting our machines which isn't too hard with plenty support here for that.

True, but who wants to restart their computer and reboot into Windows just so they can use Outlook to check their E-mail? It's equal the time to just load it in your favorite Linux web browser. Oh well, I'll keep looking around and see if I can find anything. Thanks for all the help guys!

sentry
29th June 2006, 04:11 PM
seriously, google "hotwayd" and "gotmail" they both claim to allow what you are trying to do.

sammyd253
29th June 2006, 10:39 PM
Well I got information on gotmail, and I am so close to having things completely set-up right. I followed the instructions that came with editing the gotmail script, and scheduled it to run with Kcron. I set up Evolution to check the local directory that the script uses to download my hotmail messages. I don't think the script is properly working though, because I can't access any of my hotmail messages in my inbox. I can however send mail from my hotmail account in Evolution, I tested this and it works just fine. So I figure I'm halfway there, I'm just stuck somewhere here. Does anyone else have experince with this program, or know anywhere else I could go to find more information on how to configure the script to properly work? Thanks again.

LLS
30th June 2006, 02:41 AM
Sounds promising, I'll set it up here and see what I can come up with.

sammyd253
30th June 2006, 02:52 AM
Ok, I got it. I went to sourceforge.net and downloaded the .rpm of gotmail. I opened it directly from the site and installed it. I then loaded up a terminal and typed the following:

kedit ~/.gotmailrc

I then used a webpage I found on the net from using google so I could enter the proper data into the file. Once I did that I saved. Make you that you also create a folder for your downloaded E-mail, such as ~/.hotmail. Once I did this I went into Kmail and set up a local mailbox account. My location was /home/User/.hotmail/Inbox. You don't select a lock because that supposidly causes a conflict between Kmail and gotmail. Then just set Kmail to check automatically, however often you want, and then type in "gotmail" (without the quotes) into the precommand field. Apply and ok the settings and you should be set. It's been working just fine for me, but unfortunately it's taking forever to actually pull the E-mail from the hotmail server. If I can figure out how to improve performance I will let you know, otherwise I'll just learn to deal with it. Hope this helps!

sammyd253
30th June 2006, 05:07 AM
Well, I sped things up a lot. I used the help from a post on these forums that's in the networking section. I believe the post is called "fedora 5 sloooowwww", or something along those lines. Anyways, if you follow the steps listed in there, you will be greatly impressed by the increase in speed of your connection. Enjoy!

freak
30th June 2006, 08:03 PM
something like webmail (http://webmail.mozdev.org/) extension?

The WebMail extension allows the integration of web based email accounts into Mozilla Thunderbird using the POP and SMPT protocols.

Currently only Yahoo, Hotmail, Lycos, MailDotCom, Gmail, Libero, and AOL are supported.

sultanoswing
1st July 2006, 01:30 AM
You guys falsely claiming it can't be done, without knowing, are giving tux a bad name!!

The webmail extension mentioned by freak works just fine and dandy...I have it running for hotmail and yahoo mail...you can even add extra suppported yahoo domains (yahoo.co.nz in my case).

sammyd253
1st July 2006, 04:20 AM
I didn't try webmail but if it works, cool. I can say that gotmail works and I tried to put up directions in previous posts. If anyone needs more help you can ask, or just google it, you'll find directions.

CurtisStanier
8th July 2006, 09:56 AM
Hotmail no longer provides the support for Email Clients to retrieve the mail from the server unless you have a piad hotmail account. Hotmail is a free service and makes its money off the adverts. It used to be possible with Outlook express i know that for a fact, may have been with a couple of other clients, but not anymore. Sorry.

sultanoswing
8th July 2006, 10:13 AM
It used to be possible with Outlook express i know that for a fact, may have been with a couple of other clients, but not anymore. Sorry.

Huh....I just checked my hotmail 10 minutes ago using Thunderbird and webmail - not sure what's up with your setup?!

CurtisStanier
8th July 2006, 10:18 AM
Huh....I just checked my hotmail 10 minutes ago using Thunderbird and webmail - not sure what's up with your setup?!

Apparently Microsoft are trying to prevent it.

http://www.connorswebguide.com/p/Ask-Leo-What-are-MSN-HotMails-POP3-and-SMTP-settings-for-Outlook-E___160,10896.html

What settings do you use to access your hotmail account in Thunderbird?

sultanoswing
8th July 2006, 11:18 AM
I use the webmail extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/) and have it setup just according to the instructions on the website. Easy peasy pie!

M$ has been trying for a number of years to prevent/minimise access to hotmail from standalone clients. So far, I'm pleased to note, without much success.

Netrieb
10th July 2007, 10:07 PM
The extensions work fine in Fedora. But I had to type 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost in settings.

87esir
15th August 2007, 06:59 PM
so is this working in thunderbird or evolution?

Dangermouse
15th August 2007, 07:33 PM
Hello all i use aol/aim it works well with evolution and thunderbird easy to set up
http://www.freewebs.com/dnmouse/tipsandtricks.htm
Btw does anyone have the settings off hand for gmail, my eyes are all googled out today