PDA

View Full Version : How do I format?

creaturefeature
26th June 2006, 07:01 PM
Earlier I asked how to partition a new drive I just added to the system. I wasn't told how to format the new partition.

What is the command to format a new blank partition to EXT3?

rappermas
26th June 2006, 07:19 PM
As long as you have the partition set aside, the Fedora Core Installer should be able to format it itself. I don't like thinking about it so what I did on my old system was set aside 10 GB of space using PartitionMagic in Windows XP and then booted the FC installation and told it to automatically do whatever it wants with the blank partition that I set aside.

jbannon
26th June 2006, 07:35 PM
Run mke2fs -j <device> (as root of course) where <device> is the block device name (i.e. the name of the partition e.g /dev/sda1, /dev/hdb1, etc). Alternativesly you can use mkfs.ext3 or mkfs -t ext3 instead of mke2fs -j.

creaturefeature
26th June 2006, 10:06 PM
As long as you have the partition set aside, the Fedora Core Installer should be able to format it itself. I don't like thinking about it so what I did on my old system was set aside 10 GB of space using PartitionMagic in Windows XP and then booted the FC installation and told it to automatically do whatever it wants with the blank partition that I set aside.
I'm not installing the system. It's already installed, I just added a hard drive to the machine and wanted to set it up to be used. Thus, "Earlier I asked how to partition a new drive I just added to the system", not "I'm installing a system and want to include a second hard drive".

Run mke2fs -j <device> (as root of course) where <device> is the block device name (i.e. the name of the partition e.g /dev/sda1, /dev/hdb1, etc). Alternativesly you can use mkfs.ext3 or mkfs -t ext3 instead of mke2fs -j.
Thank you Jbannon. I appreciate you giving me the answer to the question I actually asked.

rappermas
27th June 2006, 12:19 AM
Ha. Thought you were asking about formatting a partition for linux. My bad about that.