PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use kmail(opinions)?

schwim
26th June 2006, 03:04 PM
Hi there guys,

In an effort to get rid of some memory hogs, I was trying out some alternative mail clients(Evolutions memory allocation creeps up over the course of days), and tried kmail.

At first glance, I thought it would handle everything I needed to do, and was actually quite impressed with the initial layout, then I tried it.

I tried to set up outgoing mail, and where it's very simple for every other mail client I've tried, I've still not gotten it working in kmail. I've added outgoing accounts, but it will show up as an smtp, although it's sendmail(or vice versa), and if I close that window and open it again, sometimes that mail account will be missing altogether.

What's the deal? Is kmail a stable, real world application? Did I just mess something up, and not give it a fair shake, or is it something I don't want to trust my mail to(as it stands, I leave everything on server, then download in a client I do trust)?

I've searched the forums, and all I found were a couple corrupted mail reports(happens to the best of them), and some issues with getting browsers to use kmail as the client of choice. I went to the kmail site(thanks Bob, from another thread), and found an unresolved issue of where when sending attachments, kmail uses about 10 times the size of the attachment in memory to send it(WTF! :eek: ), a couple others that seemed to be dependent on hardware, and not much else.

Has anyone here used it for a while, and can you say you're happy with the experience? With the number of mail accounts I have, I get tired of importing/exporting mail to try new clients, and would just like to be able to settle on one. Your opinions would help me in deciding whether to spend the time or not.

thanks very much,
json

sailor
26th June 2006, 03:14 PM
I just setup Kmail on an old machine with FC2.
Since I have a ISP I use smtp (I removed the sendmail option)...and to receive mail I use pop server(gmail).
No problems at the moment, but I prefer thunderbird to evolution or kmail. :)

markkuk
26th June 2006, 03:14 PM
I have used kmail as my main mail program for several years, and in my experience it is a stable application suitable for production use.

grndplane
26th June 2006, 03:36 PM
I am with sailor on Thunderbird mail client. Its the best.

schwim
26th June 2006, 03:39 PM
Hi there guys, and thanks very much for your thoughts.

sailor, I was hoping to use sendmail because my ISP blocks all smtp actions and forces you to route your outgoing mail through their smtp server. This would be ok, except for the fact that they sometimes decide I'm sending too much mail, or that my mail is spam(it's not). I was hoping sendmail would solve this problem, but I can't seem to get it working through kmail. As for Thunderbird, I swore them off after having my mail corrupted twice while using it. Both were painful experiences, and Thunderbird is the only client I've used that had this problem.

markuk, can I ask how many mail accounts you use with it? I think maybe part of my problem with mail clients is the fact that I have so many accounts.

thanks,
json

uth
26th June 2006, 05:15 PM
I used kmail for several years. It does what it's supposed to. I switched to Thunderbird about six months ago.

But I'm curious, if you're worried about a memory leak over several days, why not just launch the mail client when you need it, and shut it down when you don't, rather than leaving it running?

schwim
26th June 2006, 06:11 PM
only because I run an image and web hosting service, and I need to check two of the accounts constantly for support purposes. At night, I leave it on and have it play an incredibly irritating notification .wav when mail comes in. Then all of my apps quit playing .wavs, but that's for another thread ;)

thanks,
json

gamradtk
26th June 2006, 09:41 PM
I noticed with FC5 that I get two copies of the SMTP account after going through the setup wizard (both are identical). I have to go in and delete one.

I personally would use either Evolution or Thunderbird.

markkuk
26th June 2006, 09:46 PM
markuk, can I ask how many mail accounts you use with it? I think maybe part of my problem with mail clients is the fact that I have so many accounts.

Two, one local for system messages re-directed from root account (logwatch, cron errors, etc.), and one POP3 account on my ISP.