PDA

View Full Version : FC 5 sound defective

JorisDesmet
23rd June 2006, 01:53 PM
I have installed FC 5. My sound card is supported and sound works, but behaves rather erratically. Here are a few examples.

When mplayer is playing, I can't hear anything from skype.
Amarok often crashes when playing something while mplayer is playing.
Sometimes, when mplayer is playing, playing another song with mplayer will not work. Sometimes it will.
Sometimes no sound will play at all. Sometimes this can be remedied by killing and restarting esd.

Please note that I didn't and don't do anything to my sound setup, I basically use a few programs that produce sound (amarok, mplayer, skype, and a few others). I followed the setup instructions by Stanton Finley.

Does anybody know what could be wrong? Thanks!

grndplane
23rd June 2006, 02:15 PM
Try using one program at a time :-), Amarok works great if you use the Xine engine not gstreamer and turn off the feature where it connects to the internet to report what you listen too, sometimes that will lock it up. I never could get Skype to work right on my system.

dmizer
23rd June 2006, 04:38 PM
just configure your system to use alsa (in gnome under system > preferences > more preferences > multimedia systems selector) instead of the old osd (which is what's configured by default from mplayer among others). i really had to dig to find the information on how to do it, and i'm sure i'm not completely done with it yet, but it's out there.

as for skype, it's not open source. and the makers in all their wisdom used the old osd to drive the sound on it. so if you want to use a headset pluged into your soundcard jacks you'll have to look into the skype hyjacker which will intercept the osd signals and convert them into something that is more compatable with linux.

using one program at a time that uses sound is neither good advice nor practical.

JorisDesmet
23rd June 2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks a lot,
This was really useful information.

dmizer
24th June 2006, 05:01 PM
i also found some good information about configuring my card at www.alsa-project.org. they have information on most any sound card you can imagine. i found a little addition to my configuration that seems to have helped alot. try going here: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/ scroll to the bottom and select your sound card from the list, lots of great information there.

mplayer's still a bit buggy so i have to look around a bit more to figure that one out, but for the most part, things seem to be working okay.

JorisDesmet
28th June 2006, 05:39 PM
I still think sound does not work well in FC5. I never do anything except play music and sounds using various programs, but every few hours, I get something like this (output from mplayer)...

Audio file file format detected.
================================================== ========================
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
================================================== ========================
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
alsa-init: using device default
alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1217:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device or resource busy
alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:865:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
alsa-init: playback open error: Device or resource busy
[AO ARTS] can't connect to aRts soundserver
[AO ESD] latency: [server: 0.28s, net: 0.00s] (adjust 0.28s)
AO: [esd] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A: -0.3 (unknown) of 223.0 (03:43.0) ??,?%

And it stops here, no sound.