PDA

View Full Version : Quanta Plus

spectrumver1
4th April 2004, 02:22 PM
Just figured to post since you were looking for recommendations.

Quanta Plus is by far one of the best web development environments I've come across.

First let me say that I'm not one for WYSIWYG editors. Quanta is a code editor, so if you're stuck on WYSIWYG, either consider gaining more control over your code and switch to code based editing, or look somewhere else.

*edit* Just read the sticky...lol *edit*
my box:
Sony Vaio PCG-GRX550
Fedora Core 1 Kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Intel P4-M 1.64 GHz
512MB PC-2700 DDR
ATI Radeon Mobility 7500
30 GB Toshiba HDD
40 GB WD external HDD
Toshiba DVD\CD-ROM \ CD-RW
15.1in. LCD display
Intel i810 chipset
M$ USB Intellimouse (don't ask)
Cyber Acoutics PC speaker-woofer set
Sh*tty SIIG webcam (doesn't even work yet)

Installation: 5 - DAG totally RULES
Ease of Use: 5 - then again, I hate WYSIWYG
Features: 4 - I still find myself stealing MM_swapImg scripts
Quality: 4 - can become unstable on very rare occasions
Overall: 9/10

It features:
+ File tree view

+ Project tree view

+ Template tree view

+ DOM tree view (very useful for the advanced)

+ and EXTENSIVE DOCS for php/*sql, HTML, CSS, Quanta, JavaScript 1.3

+ an easy to navigate table builder (although for standards compliance purposes, and for quicker/easier control over your display, I would suggest divs over tables)

+ an easy to navigate form builder

+ a complete list of DTDs built into the program

+ a w3c validator plugin socket for CSS, HTML, XHTML, etc

+ the ability to manage projects on ftp servers (although I'm still working on a patch to manipulate dynamic files in a transparent manner, everyone SHOULD be familiar with my ftpfs/lufs exploits so far)

+ it's at version 3.2, and very stable, as long as you don't run a laptop with uptime outputs like this:
07:17:53 up 24:2:34, 5 users, load average: 3.12, 2.25, 4.45

+ Core is written completely in C++, with parsing and DTD generation in Perl - VERY LITEWEIGHT.

- Only available for Linux....screw Window$ anyways, screw them right in their corporate, money grubbing, $@#!ing, school-money thieving, bastard-ass, %@$#ing, VB writing, piece of $h1+, #%$@ing, ears....that's where they can get screwed. (Is this really appropriate? - Ug)

And, for all you WYSIWYG users, it's rumored that before ver.4.0, an XHTML strict 1.0 compliant WYSIWYG editor mode will be built in. It's just a rumor as of yet, so, hold you horses.

Anyways, there you have my recommendation. I'm gonna play around with some C++ editors other than emacs just to give a proper recommendation there....

pues, hasta

Ug
4th April 2004, 06:32 PM
You can also get the RPM from the KDE mirrors.

spectrumver1
5th April 2004, 03:15 AM
appropriate?? probably not....deserving? yes....and we've all seen R-rated movies, so none of this liberal censorship ***** if you please. The FCC can kiss my ass if they think they can control speech on the internet, and I would hope a group of Linux users would feel that ANY type of censorship would be parallel to us being told that it's illegal to use linux cuz it allows us to do things that offend other people. I could start my rant, but this wouldn't be the right thread to do so in.

Ug
5th April 2004, 04:40 PM
I'm just saying its probably best not to detract from the subject of the review which is Quanta. Feel free to start a Microsoft rant thread in "Linux Chat".

If I was to sensor it, I would have deleted it. ;) I'm certainly not Microsofts number 1 fan.

Good review though.

spectrumver1
5th April 2004, 06:02 PM
yeah, that's what a buddy of mine and I discussed yesterday. I'll save that rant for somewhere else on the forum....sometimes my fingers get away from me.

Pues, that's my review....

Any questions about Quanta?

Finalzone
14th April 2004, 06:58 PM
I use Quanta Plus for a month. Coming from Windows XP, I found that Quanta Plus is AceHTML(freeware) or WebExpert(commercial) equivalent. However, it is by far better than AceHTML because of the rules(XHTML) that allow to close tag .

div tag is the standard now. I rediscovered css and am converted.

fjleal
15th April 2004, 08:41 PM
Quanta Plus also features files upload via FTP. It uploads only the files in the open project that have been modified since the last upload. This is a very useful feature.

Ug
15th April 2004, 10:32 PM
I've never really gotten on with projects in web development studios. I've always been happy enough to manage all my own files, in between flicking between GIMP and gedit.