PDA

View Full Version : autostartup of program

D@ Mick
3rd April 2004, 09:17 PM
Hi,
I installed lineakd, a program that enables it to use my multimedia keys of my keyboard. But the problem is I always have to start the service manualy in a terminal with the command "lineakd" when I start up.
I whas wondering if I could auto run the program @ startup.

vorte[x]
4th April 2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by D@ Mick
Hi,
I installed lineakd, a program that enables it to use my multimedia keys of my keyboard. But the problem is I always have to start the service manualy in a terminal with the command "lineakd" when I start up.
I whas wondering if I could auto run the program @ startup.

/etc/rc.d/rc.local is suitable for this.

Jman
4th April 2004, 03:18 AM
If you use Gnome you can go to Main Menu > Preferences > More Preferences > Sessions, Startup Programs tab. Click add and you can add any program you want to start with your Gnome session.

I use hotkeys (http://ypwong.org/hotkeys/) to enable my multimedia keyboard.

vorte[x]
4th April 2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Jman
If you use Gnome you can go to Main Menu > Preferences > More Preferences > Sessions, Startup Programs tab. Click add and you can add any program you want to start with your Gnome session.

I use hotkeys (http://ypwong.org/hotkeys/) to enable my multimedia keyboard.

This will be sufficient if the user isn't looking for multimedia key support in a console I suppose :)

D@ Mick
4th April 2004, 09:33 AM
hi,
the /etc/rc.d/rc.local doesnt work and I use KDE.

crackers
4th April 2004, 05:57 PM
In KDE, there's an "Autostart" directory in each user's directory space. You can either use Konqueror to find it, or you can use Control Center (System Administration/Paths). Any typical ".kdelink" or ".desktop" type file placed in here will start a program automatically on KDE login.

Here's a quickie way to do what you want:

1) Right-click on the desktop and select "Create New/File/Link to application"
2) Put in the information to run your program ("lineakd" - full path to the program is best).
3) Open Konqueror and locate the Autostart directory.
4) Drag the new desktop entry into the Autostart directory and choose "Move"
5) Close Konqueror, log out and log back in again.

vorte[x]
4th April 2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by D@ Mick
hi,
the /etc/rc.d/rc.local doesnt work and I use KDE.

Can you be more specific? You need to edit this as root, by the way.

D@ Mick
4th April 2004, 08:55 PM
I know. So the thing is that I have to do is edit a config file where all programs are located that start @ pc startup. Becouse I have a program that has to start @ pc startup with the command 'lineakd'. So in what file do I have to put the command so that lineak starts when I start up my pc?

vorte[x]
4th April 2004, 09:19 PM
Assuming the app is located in /usr/bin you will add:

/usr/bin/lineakd &

Simple :)

D@ Mick
5th April 2004, 10:15 AM
Thats the command that has to be used but it won't be in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. Tryed it but didn't work

vorte[x]
5th April 2004, 12:21 PM
After looking over the documention, I realize why it doesn't work - My mistake.

You can either do what crackers suggested or add '/usr/bin/lineakd &' to ~/.xsession if you use XSession

(~ = your home directory /home/myuser)

D@ Mick
5th April 2004, 12:40 PM
hey vorte[x] & cracker. thx for the help.now it works

vorte[x]
5th April 2004, 07:03 PM
Glad to hear! :D