PDA

View Full Version : Next C++ Book

Ug
3rd April 2004, 08:36 PM
Can anyone recommend me a good C++ book to learn with? I've just finished "The Complete Idiots Guide to C++" and I'm looking to go on to the next level. Anyone able to recommend anything?

Jman
4th April 2004, 04:49 AM
I've got C++ For Dummies (ISBN 0-7645-0746-X), probably much the same thing. :D

It goes as far as overloading operators, stream I/O, and multiple inheritance.

It's fairly straightforward, and is even amusing at times.

Ug
4th April 2004, 08:25 AM
Yea, thats pretty much the same. ;)

spectrumver1
4th April 2004, 01:59 PM
Ug, I have an excellent reccommendation, but it's gonna cost you a nickel or two.

C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data Structures by D.S. Malik published through Course Technology - Thomson Learning is the book I learned with. It's a college book that I had to buy for my first year CSC class, but I guarantee that, unless you plan to build a kernel with C++ (which wouldn't be a good idea anyways, unless you were reprogramming Windows) you'll never need to buy another C++ book.

It covers Recursion, Class structure and inheritance, data abstraction via classes/structs, pointers, linked lists, virtual functions, Operator and function overloading withing classes, stacks, queues, searching and sorting algorithms, binary trees, graphs/matrices, standard templates, namespaces, EVERYTHING.

Amazon's got used ones starting at $42USD, which is prolly like 30 something Pounds, right?

Good luck, lemme know what you go with.

Hasta

Ug
4th April 2004, 06:07 PM
How easy is it to follow? And does it suggest some programs to make to test ya knowledge?

spectrumver1
5th April 2004, 01:59 AM
easy to follow - yes, it goes from the least complex to the most and in an order which integrates all previously learned skills with the current one.

example programs - tons. Here's a small list:

- Checking account balance with while loop
- secret code cracking with mutli-dimensional arrays.
- converting from decimal to binary (and vice versa) with a recursive function
- manipulation of parent and child classes with inheritance and private/public template declaration with a candy machin (kinda silly, but comprehensive...maybe get adventurous and make people instead of candy in a machine)
- dynamic variables with pointers, arrays, classes, linked, array-based and linked array-based lists (almost like mysql_fetch_array in php, not always necessary, but it makes sure that the job will get done.
- operator overloading with a clock example
- operator overloading with complex numbers

All of the programming examples in here...you might be able to make a Unix clone yourself.

Ug
5th April 2004, 08:55 AM
Sounds good, I'll have to look into that one.

fjleal
5th April 2004, 07:19 PM
"Eckel - Thinking in C++ vol. I" is freely available as a PDF. I don't have the link, but if you pm me your e-mail I can send it to you. It's about 2.9MB.

linux juggler
13th July 2004, 06:50 AM
have you ever see the "C++ how to program " its from deital and deital ...

i think its the best

micha
13th July 2004, 07:17 AM
If you want the C++ bible, I recommand you "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup (the creator of C++). There's every information you need to develop a real C++ project (and not a pseudo combination of C and C++). Well this book has been my bible for a while (now I know it by heart :) ).

carbo18
13th July 2004, 07:29 AM
I'd recommend

-C++ Primer Plus, Fourth Edition about 1128 pages :eek: By Stephen Prata

and the Addison Wesley C++ In Depth Series are excellent (Bjarne Stroustrup is the Editor of the series)

-Essential C++ By Stanley B. Lippman
-Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example By Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo
-Exceptional C++ Style: 40 New Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions By Herb Sutter
-Applied C++: Practical Techniques for Building Better Software By Philip Romanik, Amy Muntz
-C++ Network Programming, Volume 2: Systematic Reuse with ACE and Frameworks By Douglas C. Schmidt, Stephen D. Huston
-Boost Graph Library, The: User Guide and Reference Manual By Jeremy G. Siek, Lie-Quan Lee, Andrew Lumsdaine
-More Exceptional C++: 40 New Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions By Herb Sutter
-Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied By Andrei Alexandrescu
-Exceptional C++: 47 Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions By Herb Sutter

From the Addison-Wesley group... Essential C++ and Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example are good beginner books and have complete C++ application walkthroughs. All these books teach good programming style as well. :)

"The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup is a good reference book but doesn't have many good examples as far as writing complete applications, but is a great book if you want to know the details of how the <string> class of STL was written for example.

Viro
13th July 2004, 09:41 AM
-Exceptional C++ Style: 40 New Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions By Herb Sutter
-More Exceptional C++: 40 New Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions By Herb Sutter
-Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied By Andrei Alexandrescu

From the list carbo18 recommended, those are the ones that I think are the most useful. But before you do any of those, I would highly recommend you read Effective C++ and More Effective C++ by Scott Meyers, and spend some (a few months/years) time programming in C++. Then go read those books. That's because they won't make any sense to you unless you've been programming for a while and know the problems that they address.

friez
13th July 2004, 04:00 PM
here is the site that fjleal is refering to http://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/TIC2Vone.pdf

theurge
14th July 2004, 08:52 AM
I second the Dietel & Dietel book.

Here's a link for you on Amazon UK since you're in the UK :) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131118811/qid=1089748020/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_27_1/026-2343877-6509207)

copter
15th July 2004, 05:39 PM
Can anyone recommend me a good C++ book to learn with? I've just finished "The Complete Idiots Guide to C++" and I'm looking to go on to the next level. Anyone able to recommend anything?

Hi : go here http://64.78.49.204/

this is Bruce Eckel 's free books site. best free c++ & Java books on the web

Luck
Copter
:)

ghenry
23rd July 2004, 11:35 PM
The defacto resource for C/C++ books etc. is:

http://www.accu.org/

HTH