PDA

View Full Version : Is Quanta+ stable on FC5?

pamount
17th June 2006, 12:55 AM
Hello

I tried using Quanta+ on FC4 with KDE3.5 during Easter this year and it kept crashing when I saved files in PHP. I've now got FC5 and I just did a Yum install of KDEWebdev (including Quanta+). Will this be more stable on FC5?

I've got my client's web site to work on and I'm worried about Quanta+ messing up the files if it crashes like that again. I've still got Bluefish to fall back on

Thanks

buddha
17th June 2006, 01:14 AM
this thread seems so familiar....

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106476

and I think Bluefish has also crashed on me once but it was a single rare occurence.

schwim
17th June 2006, 06:56 AM
First off, ALWAYS keep backups :)

For the last month, I have used Quanta Plus for hours every day, and am more often than not working with .php files. I have yet to have the application crash. In fact, I've not run into any problem with it at all yet(fingers crossed)

Specs:

FC5
KDE 3.5.2(I think)
Celeron 2.53
1 Gig of ram

Hope this helps you,
json

pamount
17th June 2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks for that

I should've mentioned I do backup the files but it's still a hassle if you've done a few hours of work and it gets lost because it hasn't made it to the latest backup.

I've actually downloaded Eclipse to check it out with PHPEclipse. I wasn't going to at first because of the space it requires but I thought I might as well check it out on FC5.

I'll still keep Bluefish loaded in the meantime. It has proven itself to be very stable I must say

Have fun

--

PS. I just removed Eclipse becasue it's too slow on my Pentium 2

schwim
17th June 2006, 04:06 PM
I totally understand the hassle. I wasn't trying to say that it was ok for the app. to crash if you had backups ;), just sharing some good info.

I've used bluefish, and I eventually may go back to it. I like Quanta because I'm able to work on remote files(my files are on a Windows share on the network). I'm still trying to sort through Quanta to see if any of the bells & whistles would actually benefit me. I don't require much to write code, and although I would find a lot of things handy, there's some that's just baggage. I thought the auto-completion of tags was handy at first until I started going back through code to add font classes, and the end tag was always in the wrong spot and I had to delete it to move it. Also, indentation is never on by default, that drives me batty on Quanta. I thought I would use the project feature of Quanta, but it's not very flexible when inserting an existing site into it, and I don't trust it to not screw up my stuff.

I'll probably end up going back to something much more simple, but the people who wrote Quanta did a nice job on it, I think. And you can always turn off the stuff you don't want, so I guess in the end, you could make it as bare-bones as you'd like.

thanks,
json

pamount
18th June 2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks schwim

I'll try Quanta+ again on FC5. I'm willing to think it might have had a problem specific to FC4 that caused it to keep crashing. I'll try it on FC5 and if it behaves itself for at least a couple of days I'll switch to it.

I'll still keep Bluefish loaded just in case.

Have a good day

BandC
19th June 2006, 07:28 PM
pamount,

Try jEdit. I switched from Quanta+ to jEdit because of the exact problem you are having. I also tried Bluefish for a while but overall I liked jEdit better.

schwim
19th June 2006, 11:19 PM
BandC,

Can you tell me what exactly you liked better than bluefish? More features, less, more intuitive, etc.?

Editors are like shoes. Once you find one that fits well, you can be happy for life :)

thanks,
json

pamount
20th June 2006, 01:16 AM
Hi

So far I've found that Quanta+ is behaving itself on FC5 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I do run into the same problem again with it I'll look at jEdit.

Thanks

pamount
20th June 2006, 01:34 AM
schwim

Regarding Bluefish I like it's stability and clean interface as well as being able to have line numbers. But I feel the current version seems like a work in progress. It lacks just one or two things that it really needs for it to stand out.

I've looked at the project roadmap for Bluefish on the web site (at http://bfwiki.tellefsen.net/index.php?pagename=ProjectRoadMap) and it looks very promising. I think Bluefish 1.2 will be very interesting to look at and based on it's current ease of use and stability and as long as they add those features they have on the road map I could very easily switch to Bluefish as my main editor.

I've tried jEdit in the past on Windows and it does have a lot of cool features and it proved itself to be very stable. I just found at the time it seemed awkward for me to use. This is really a personal thing but it seemed like I had to learn new conventions compared to normal menu and keyboard commands. But if Quanta+ proves itself to be unstable again I'm prepared to give jEdit another try, this time on FC5 of course.

Have a good day

BandC
20th June 2006, 08:50 PM
schwim,

I'll briefly describe the pros and cons of each editor (for me) as much as I can remember (I'm not at my computer right now):

* Quanta+: This would still probably be my #1 choice for writing PHP if it didn't keep crashing on FC4. Code completion for variables and PHP/user function help is awesome. Good syntax highlighting. Solid IDE with many many features. A little heavy on the resources compared to Bluefish and jEdit (therefore a little slower) but crashing is about the only thing you can really complain about.

* Bluefish: I tried this for a while after Quanta+ started crashing on me. The best thing about Bluefish to me was speed. I was really impressed with the speed. Not as feature packed as Quanta+ (or jEdit with its plugins). No code completion. Decent syntax highlighter (I've seen it show weird stuff so syntax highlighting doesn't work very well at times). Bottom line: if you want a FAST and light editor to edit a few simple PHP pages then Bluefish is for you. If you have a ton of complex PHP pages in a big project then it may not be for you.

* jEdit: Next I tried jEdit. My prejudice was that it would be slow since it's a Java application. It's not! While it's probably not as fast as Bluefish, I was really impressed with jEdit's speed. You can hardly tell it's a Java application speedwise. jEdit has a ton of features that makes writing code easier: line numbers, good syntax highlighting, clipboard history, markers. One feature I love is: it shows matching braces/parantheses. Not only it highlights them but it also ties them together so it's really easy to find a matching brace 1000 lines ago. You have try it to see how useful this is. It also has a ton of external plugins written by many people. Plugins provide many useful functions like tab selecting, etc.
jEdit would be near perfect if it had variable code completion and PHP/user function help but it's really good as it is.

Anyway, this is all subjective of course but there is my quick recap of the three editors.

schwim
23rd June 2006, 03:31 AM
Thanks very much for taking the time BandC. I'll download jedit tonight and give it a shot. I don't have any issues with Quanta crashing, but I'm always on the lookout for the perfect editor.

I liked one thing you stated about Quanta. The matching braces. Also, I loved that you could collapse sections of the code to clean up the editing enviroment. That was darned nifty, and something I never saw while on Windows.

thanks,
json

BandC
23rd June 2006, 07:31 PM
No prob. Let us know how you like it.

pamount
27th June 2006, 02:18 AM
Quanta+ crashed when I was using it last night.

I've gone back to Bluefish for now. I might have to bite the bullet and give jEdit another try.

Have fun

--------

Update

I've since noticed kdewebdev has been updated so I'm giving Quanta+ another go for now.