PDA

View Full Version : eeek no gonme panel!

daveReed
16th June 2006, 09:17 PM
I recently noticed that my gnome-power manager wasn't appearing on the panel, so I tried a yum update and updated all of the dependinces. After a reboot I get an error message that says the panel is already running and will now exit (or something like that) and the panel flashes and disapears and all I get left with is my desktop. Any suggestions... I really don't want to reinstall.

Richard1098
17th June 2006, 08:35 AM
I recently noticed that my gnome-power manager wasn't appearing on the panel, so I tried a yum update and updated all of the dependinces. After a reboot I get an error message that says the panel is already running and will now exit (or something like that) and the panel flashes and disapears and all I get left with is my desktop. Any suggestions... I really don't want to reinstall.

It could be a configuration issue. You could try starting with new empty Gnome config folders, whichare called .gnome .gnome2 etc You will need to select <view> <show hidden files> to see them in nautilus.

Move your current Gnome config folders to a back up folder then restart Gnome. It will create new config folders on start up. If this doesn't fix the problem you may as will restore your old config folders.

daveReed
17th June 2006, 09:10 PM
It could be a configuration issue. You could try starting with new empty Gnome config folders, whichare called .gnome .gnome2 etc You will need to select <view> <show hidden files> to see them in nautilus.

Move your current Gnome config folders to a back up folder then restart Gnome. It will create new config folders on start up. If this doesn't fix the problem you may as will restore your old config folders.

Umm, where are the .gnome and .gnome2 directories.... I am a nOOb :D

daveReed
17th June 2006, 09:36 PM
hehe found it.... still didn't work though... I am working on a few other solutions

daveReed
17th June 2006, 09:51 PM
ok so I tried to "killall -9 gnome-panel" and it said that there are no processes to kill... I don't understand why it is complaining that there is already a panel running? any suggestions?

daveReed
18th June 2006, 07:09 AM
any other ideas?

Richard1098
18th June 2006, 08:08 AM
any other ideas?

Try creating a new user and log into that account. If you have the same issue for that account then there is something wrong. If you don't, its somehting minor. Are all your Gnome packages up to date? Do you get any updates listed with Package Updater?