PDA

View Full Version : A different kinda dual boot thing

Rick069
16th June 2006, 04:37 AM
Would I approach the installation any different if I wanted to put linux on a sparate hard drive? What I mean is I have windoze on one hard drive and I wanted to put linux on another hard drive. A dual boot thing if you will. I've heard it is a little more difficult that way. Can someone help me make a successful transition. I got all these hard drives I paid boocoo money for and I'm damn well gonna use them.

Seve
16th June 2006, 05:33 AM
Would I approach the installation any different if I wanted to put linux on a sparate hard drive? What I mean is I have windoze on one hard drive and I wanted to put linux on another hard drive. A dual boot thing if you will. I've heard it is a little more difficult that way. Can someone help me make a successful transition. I got all these hard drives I paid boocoo money for and I'm damn well gonna use them.
Hello:
Actually having one drive for each OS is a very good idea.
I think (IMO) it's actually easier than both on one drive.
Seve

desolationw
16th June 2006, 12:50 PM
i have a system with fc5 and windows each on diff hdd, it runs fine.i already had windows installed on the 1st hdd and dl the dvd iso of fc5 x86_64 and burned it to disk. rebooted with disk in drive and installed fc5 on the 2nd hdd. had to fiddle a bit with the bootloader but it works fine now. on startup i have 10secs to hit esc otherwise it boots straight into fc5. when i hit esc, it give me a choice between 'fc5' and 'other' when i choose other i have set it to boot straight into windows. you might need to edit the boot.ini file in windows but both work fine.

Rick069
16th June 2006, 07:42 PM
During setup everything is fine as far as editing the bootloader but I just don't get the screen to choose what os to boot into and I don't know what to figit with to make it right or make it show up.

Seve
16th June 2006, 08:24 PM
Hello:
From your earlier post it sounds like that you have only 2 hard drives?
The first drive is most likely /dev/hda and has windows installed on it?
The second drive is most likely /dev/hdb which will have FC5 installed on it?
When you install FC5 on your second drive and you get to the boot loader options....choose advanced and make sure that the boot loader [grub] is installed on /dev/hda and you should be good to go. If not, post back and we will help you out.
Seve