PDA

View Full Version : VLC codecs?

MonkeyMan
15th June 2006, 05:32 PM
Having trouble with the (in windows) unbeatable vlc-player. Can't play wmv and some mpgs. What's wrong? Anybody else got this problem?

dillybat
15th June 2006, 06:24 PM
are you asking a windows related question? You are having problems with vlc in windows and are asking people on a Linux site for help?

MonkeyMan
15th June 2006, 06:43 PM
No, sorry if I was unclear. The thing was that I used vlc in windows before I migrated, and now I want to use it in linux. So I install it and it only works with some .mpg files. So now I want to know what might be wrong. Are there any codecs I might need? Is there any packages yum missed? and so on...

dillybat
15th June 2006, 08:08 PM
vlc in linux doesn't handle all the codecs that the windows version does. That is one possible answer. I am not saying that it is the case here...

Sorry, I cannot help beyond that as I do no know what codecs vlc can make use of or the packages that contain them

ANYONE?

gerasmus
17th June 2006, 02:17 AM
I am a Linux noob. I believe. The faith needs to be strong.

Try http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html
..... then... be prepared (and don't give up on linux) to spend (a lot of) time trying to (find and)compile the codecs, the search for (more) missing libs, re-compile only to end up with a commandline-only player. And guess what, I STILL haven't been able to figure out how to get VLC on Fedora Core 5.

Alternatively, try MPlayer. I was able to get Mplayer compiled and able to play video (in command line-only version). Get the codecs, fonts, skins and player all from the same site, www.mplayerhq.com

Would whoever knows how to get vlc working please make a functional how-to guide for vlc ?
How about a step-by-step guide ? Then guide have would include the verified location for download of drivers/libs, everything in one place.
Even better, a 'after install' guide for noobs (like me). For Linux to get off the ground it would (amongst) others need ability to play video and music out of the box, or instructions on how-to easily. I always read about people playing video, but haven't yet found a clear how-to with ALL the codecs & libs in one place.

I've also downloaded the bits for vlc from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html but got into a brick wall when it seemed that I would need to compile (and search) for a endless amount of codecs/libs.
Yes, I know about the American law prohibiting it.. but we're not all under Uncle Sam's rule (yet).

If YOU would be so kind as to write a nice HOW-TO (for educational purposeses, obviously, if you are American) and post it here. A good example is the jems report for SuSe 10.0 OSS users..
http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/42/

Once you succeeded in getting a VLC running (with GUI) and playing video/audio, write a step-by-step guide for noobs. I'm willing to host the codecs, or a single file containing everything needed to get the audio/video playing on my server.