PDA

View Full Version : Vexing Annoyance

Rob Roye
15th June 2006, 04:58 PM
The main reason that it is vexing is that I can't locate the answer on my own. :)

I'm running FC5 (and loving it) but there is one tweak I'd like to make. I'm using Gnome and when I open a folder it opens in a new window. I want it to open in the same window so my desktop isn't cluttered. I cannot figure out how to make the system opena folder in the same window. I got it to open with a single-click, but now need it to open folders without opening 25 windows.

Apologies in advance for not having a clue.

PS - LOVING FC5! I was a SuSE guy (with KDE) before trying FC5 - and I switched.

byroniac
15th June 2006, 05:16 PM
I'm using Gnome and when I open a folder it opens in a new window. I want it to open in the same window so my desktop isn't cluttered.Drove me nuts, too (and I'm nutty enough to start with). Fortunately, it's easy to fix. Go to System -> Preferences -> File Management, then select the Behavior tab, and then make sure the "Always open in browser windows" option is checked (definitely NOT intuitive, IMHO).

For more help, I recommend the Fedora Resources pages on this board. For example, this in the Links section is very good. The Home of The Links

PS - LOVING FC5! I was a SuSE guy (with KDE) before trying FC5 - and I switched.Kewl, I did too (not knocking SuSE, but FC5 liked my hardware better), and there's something about FC5 I just like better than SuSE, not sure what. Maybe it was the hardware thing. ;)

*EDIT* I will always be grateful to SuSE, though, because it's what got me into this Linux mess seriously to start with. I had dabbled with Linux before (RedHat) and really liked the one distro I had tried (RedHat) which probably had a bearing on me winding up where I did (Fedora). -Sigh- Guess I'm easy to figure out.

Rob Roye
15th June 2006, 05:24 PM
Thank you! That was really driving me nuts. I agree that it is definately not intuative. I do like how it works now, though. The left pane has always been a good thing for me. The only thing I liked about Windows was Win Explorer.

Thanks for the link, I'll bookmark that.

SuSE was a great OS, I still like it. I know several people that still like it. I'm thinking that FC5 is more down the road that my mind travels. I'm comfy here. :) My main surprise is that I originally booted with Gnome, changed it to KDE (which I've always preferred) and then changed it back to Gnome about 30 min later.

byroniac
15th June 2006, 05:34 PM
Thank you!You're welcome.
SuSE was a great OS, I still like it. I know several people that still like it. I'm thinking that FC5 is more down the road that my mind travels. I'm comfy here. :) My main surprise is that I originally booted with Gnome, changed it to KDE (which I've always preferred) and then changed it back to Gnome about 30 min later.I really like what RedHat has done with Gnome. For some reason, I think I prefer it over KDE, as it just seems to be more professional-looking, and more functionality-oriented.

JordanN
16th June 2006, 06:40 AM
It took me a while, too.

In my opinion, Nautilus should be set to Browser mode by default.

byroniac
16th June 2006, 06:57 AM
In my opinion, Nautilus should be set to Browser mode by default.I'm sure there's probably someone out there who prefers its initial behavior over the browser mode that I and every other sane person on the planet want. ;)

Having said that, in my opinion I think the Gnome people should rephrase that to better reflect the actual thought processes of the average user (in my admittedly limited experience which includes myself) who thinks along the lines, "open in the same window" versus "open each folder in its own window" as opposed to "Always open in browser windows-yes/no" (which caused my brain to halt on a "HUH?" instruction when I first saw it).

Not knocking Gnome! I just think some things could be worded a little bit better/clearer. Of course, for all I know, Microsoft may have that terminology trademarked or reserved in some fashion I suppose. But that's just my $.02 (and virtual at that).