PDA

View Full Version : KDE vs Gnome

pescobar
15th June 2006, 01:06 AM
Ok first this isn't what you think. But i've used redhat 9 and fedora 1 and in both of them what they call gnome looks like kde with the menu items moved around a bit. is it really even gnome?

Thetargos
15th June 2006, 05:55 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've used Red Hat products ever since 5.0...

daihard
15th June 2006, 07:43 AM
If anything, you should have really asked if the KDE that came with RH 9 and FC1 was really KDE. Starting with RH 8, Red Hat tweaks KDE to make it look very much like GNOME.

Thetargos
15th June 2006, 08:01 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying that they made GNOME and KDE to look alike. I'd say that they tried to keep things pretty much the same and consistent across DEs, and they actually did a darn pretty good job at it, as the differences between them were not noticeable to the untrained eye (obviously, though, after using eiher for a while, the differences were crystal clear). I think they did this on purpose to try not to impose any DE, and actually let the user decide.

daihard
15th June 2006, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying that they made GNOME and KDE to look alike. I'd say that they tried to keep things pretty much the same and consistent across DEs, and they actually did a darn pretty good job at it, as the differences between them were not noticeable to the untrained eye (obviously, though, after using eiher for a while, the differences were crystal clear). I think they did this on purpose to try not to impose any DE, and actually let the user decide.
I'm not too familiar with GNOME so can't say how much they changed GNOME from the default look. What I _can_ say is that they changed KDE so much, it sure didn't look like KDE anymore. If I remember correctly, that prompted a lot of KDE users to leave RH/FC. I was one of them, although I broke down and came back. :)

My perosnal opinion is that RH should have retained the different looks and feels of the two environments so the user can decide. :)

Thetargos
15th June 2006, 09:38 AM
As far as the feel goes, I think they both retained their marks. And ever since GNOME 2.6, they've pretty mcuh kept the default look of GNOME, and only kept a consistent look in KDE.

reddazz
15th June 2006, 01:50 PM
I'm not too familiar with GNOME so can't say how much they changed GNOME from the default look. What I _can_ say is that they changed KDE so much, it sure didn't look like KDE anymore. If I remember correctly, that prompted a lot of KDE users to leave RH/FC. I was one of them, although I broke down and came back. :)

My perosnal opinion is that RH should have retained the different looks and feels of the two environments so the user can decide. :)
I am one of those people who left. I was so disgusted with the changes that were made to KDE. I only recently installed KDE on FC5 and its not as modified as the versions in RH8 to F1. KDE in FC is still not as good as KDE on Suse but its a lot better than what it was before.

Thetargos
15th June 2006, 05:30 PM
I've never been a KDE kind of guy... Not even when it was first made available on distros like Mandrake, SuSE or Corel/Xandros.... I just don't feel comfortable in it, but that's just me... I try not to bias new users and actually encourage them to try them two (or three if XFCE is available). I even try not to answer when asked what I don't like about KDE (and this post won't be an exception), this is afterall no GNOME Vs KDE flame thread, in the end we all use Linux and Fedora at that, and that's what really matters (IMO)

daihard
16th June 2006, 05:28 AM
I am one of those people who left. I was so disgusted with the changes that were made to KDE. I only recently installed KDE on FC5 and its not as modified as the versions in RH8 to F1. KDE in FC is still not as good as KDE on Suse but its a lot better than what it was before.
That's true. Now they're talking about "unleashing" KDE so RH itself won't maintain KDE anymore. That may actually be a good move - the KDE community will better be able to provide the "vanilla" KDE for the Fedora community than RH could. :D