PDA

View Full Version : ifconfig

jhol
12th June 2006, 07:47 PM
Hey all,

Sorry to bother you if this is a stupid question. I've been using Windows all my life and know it inside and out. I've been trying to learn more about linux so i now have installed Fedora Core 5 on my laptop as the only OS. Everything seems nice and seems to be working great.

One thing that I've found that seems somewhat annoying is to run ifconfig i need to type /sbin/ifconfig. Is there a change I can make that I can type ifconfig from any folder and it will run? It seems like the path setting in autoexec.bat from DOS. Sorry, I only know Micro$oft OSes.

Thanks for your help!
Jon

ppesci
12th June 2006, 07:53 PM
ok, in your home directory is a file named .bash_profile

open this file and you will see a line containing PATH=some_values

add to the line

:/sbin

and thatś all

HTH

Pietro Pesci Feltri

sentry
12th June 2006, 07:55 PM
ifconfig is a restricted command that can by root. You can add an entry to the sudo file to allow a user to run ifconfig as a workaround.

My advice would be this: stop thinking in windows terms. I know it's difficult but soon you will probably see the method to the madness in *nix. Get used to logging in as root ocasionally to run commands because it'll happen a lot. It's all about security and previledge seperation which are pretty much non-existent on most windows boxes.