PDA

View Full Version : Help me Please! Fedora Questions

joaquin112
12th June 2006, 06:40 PM
Hello I have a number of issues with my Fedora installation. I hope someone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

First of all, I am using a laptop with an external monitor. I can use it and view everything. However, the screen resolution is wrong. I cannot see the edges! Only everything in the middle. How can I correct this? Does anyone know?

Next, I cannot use my wireless internet.

Third, does anyone know how to view my windows files from Linux? I cannot even boot to Windows from the start of Fedora because the option does not appear. That does not matter, I like Fedora much better. The problem is that I want to get my files from Windows. I already tried to mount dev/hda1 to no avail. I get an error message. Is there another alternative?

Thank you very much.

ppesci
12th June 2006, 07:45 PM
Don know about a second monitor but i think you can go to System->Display->Dual head and configure the second monitor.

The wireless problem I seen is fron bcm43xx card, there is a howto in this site for guide you on how to configure and use properly. I have this card and worked fine after follow instruction.

To see your files in windows partition, may be your partitios is not /dev/hda1, i sugest you get a partition table first, if you have a intel machine you as user root can do this with:

fdisk /dev/hda
then type :
p

to get a partition table. see what partition is vfat or ntfs

then type:

q

to quit.

with the partition number try the command:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hdax /mountpoint_directory

HTH

Pietro Pesci Feltri

JoeyJoJoe
12th June 2006, 11:03 PM
http://www.fedorafaq.org/

This website has a lot of useful information. I've heard that if you have an ntfs partition you can't write to it from linux - don't try, I hear it causes problems.

The wireless thing is quite difficult to do I think, depending on what chipset you've got (I'm on centrino and because Intel is closed source is dosn't come built in)... might be able to get it working

The dual monitor can be set up using system -> administration -> display then stick in your root password and go to the last tab you can select "use dual head" and set up from there.

Anyway, post back and say how it went...

JoeyJoJoe
12th June 2006, 11:08 PM
apparently getting ntfs to work is really easy now... http://www.fedorafaq.org/#ntfs

that seems like the best way