PDA

View Full Version : Have Grub but no Fedora!

gwvenus
12th June 2006, 01:05 PM
Hi Everyone,
This morning I updated my Fedora Core 5 install. Yum installed a new kernel and removed the old one. Usually I reboot then I edit grub.conf so grub boots to windows by default. This time I thoght it would be quicker to edit grub first so I logged out, logged back in as root and edited grub to boot xp first. Then I saved the change and rebooted. I still have grub, but now my only option is xp! The line to choose Fedora is completely gone! Is there a way I can repair this or do I need to reinstall Fedora?
Thanks,
Gary

Mat
12th June 2006, 01:33 PM
start with the Fedora Rescue Disk (or some random live-distribution) and mount your partition.. than correct the grub.conf file and reboot

Mat

bob
12th June 2006, 02:02 PM
As a bit of help, I'll copy off the detail for the last two kernels for you. You'll have to adjust to your drive's configuration:

title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2133_FC5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
initrd /initrd-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5.img

title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2122_FC5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
initrd /initrd-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5.img

gwvenus
12th June 2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. The Fedora community never ceases to amaze me with how kind and helpful everyone is.
I'm still a noobie. Could someone tell me exactly what command mounts my partion and what command allows me to edit grub.conf?
Thanks again,
Gary

bob
12th June 2006, 03:15 PM
Sorry for the delay, but I seldom, if ever, go into that Rescue CD and wanted to check some things out. If you have one, it's pretty straight forward. You answer just a few basic questions and you're into your system, where you can use VI to make the necessary corrections to /boot/grub/grub.conf. Once finished, hit 'esc' and then type ":wq" to save your work, or if you've messed up, type ":q!" to leave it without saving.

If you don't have the Rescue CD, CD-1 will accomplish much the same thing, but you'd have to type: 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt and then 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' to get into FC.

Of course, if you really mess up and need to reinstall grub, you can type (from the point of /mnt/sysimage): 'grub-install /dev/hda' , assuming that your mbr is on hda, and it should over-write the mbr again.

Mat
12th June 2006, 05:01 PM
after you chrooted to your partition, you can also use the editor nano instead of vi.. is easier for new users
# nano /boot/grub/grub.conf

Mat