PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Monitor Question

Cheeseness
5th June 2006, 02:20 AM
G'day

I'm running a 6800GS on FC5 x86_64 with two monitors.
I'm keen on a spanned desktop, but I'm having trouble with some games and fullscreen apps behaving strangely.

When running programs like say, the GIMP or Inkscape, it's nice to be able to spread dialogs and windows across both monitors.

Is there any way to have the second screen share the same set of desktops (as in the four virtual desktops gnome has set up by default)?
(My understanding is that in individual desktop mode, each screen has its own X session, and so that wouldn't be possible)

Failing that, is there a way to send windows between separate X sessions?

icydog
5th June 2006, 05:36 AM
I'm using a nv 6600gt with the binary nvidia driver, here are relevant parts of my xorg.conf. I hope this helps:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DoubleMonitor"
VendorName "NvTwinViewMonitor"
ModelName "NvTwinViewMonitor1"
DisplaySize 720 570
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidia0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "1"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "BackingStore" "true"
Option "TwinView"
Option "Metamodes" "1280x1024, 1280x1024; 1280x1024, NULL; NULL, 1280x1024"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
BusID "PCI:3:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "nvidia0"
Monitor "DoubleMonitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "2560x1024" "1280x1024"
EndSubSection
EndSection

scotta3234
5th June 2006, 05:55 AM
If you have spanning desktops the 4 virtual desktops ARE shared. at least this is the way it's on my dual screen setup that i just double checked. Games are a problem and you'll have to set it to be limited to one monitor inside the game itself unless it has dual screen support. Other than that i don't know because I'm not really a gamer.

-Edit- unless i misunderstood your question you want spanning With 4 virtual desktops. that's what mine does by default. Also... i can drag a window in gimp across both screens and put tools on either screen. AND when i select a new desktop it gives me a new desktop on BOTH screens. Is this what you want?

Cheeseness
5th June 2006, 06:50 AM
I've already got my screens set up and running, but thanks anyway icydog.
:)

Scotta, I'm after non spanned shared virtual desktops (so my second screen could be viewing the same or another desktop).

Since I'm having trouble with some apps in spanned mode, I want to find out if there's a way to move a window from one screen to another in individual mode. Sharing virtual desktops would be a nice way around that (in theory, letting me clone - without the mouse - if I chose to view the same desktop on both screens, and easily send windows from one desktop to another).

Any solution where I could send windows from one screen to another in individual desktop mode would be cool (having to restart X all the time to switch between spanned and individual modes isn't helping me be productive).