PDA

View Full Version : On Desktop Terminal

Guess_Who
4th June 2006, 06:49 AM
How do you get an on desktop terminal for KDE?

I found this: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=17473

but I can't get it working.

Im running KDE 3.5 and FC 5

u-noneinc-s
4th June 2006, 06:54 AM
konsole, xterm, or even gnome-terminal (though I don't know if gnome-terminal can cause problems). gnome-terminal can be made
transparent and I believe konsole can too though I haven't tried, I tend to stick with xterm.

Guess_Who
4th June 2006, 07:02 AM
I'm shooting for a karamba or gDesklet type thing, but thanks

u-noneinc-s
4th June 2006, 07:08 AM
Sorry bout that. Haven't looked into it.

Guess_Who
4th June 2006, 07:09 AM
in the kde improvement I linked to, I think it will work, I just don't know how to properly execute the script. any ideas?

u-noneinc-s
4th June 2006, 07:26 AM
I just looked at it. It is already executable, so in the dir it's unpacked to it should just take ./odt_script.sh (but I tried and also got nowhere).
It seems like somethings missing. No README or INSTALL, No dir structure, No instructions at all. I didn't even see any at kde-look.org.
It says it works with aterm and eterm. I have neither as far as I can tell.

Guess_Who
4th June 2006, 07:47 AM
I just found yakuake, which is way better than what I was even wanting!!!

You set a hotkey and when activated a terminal scrolls down from the top of the screen!

Thanks anyways, hope this helps someone else...

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=29153

Extract the file, and run the following commands (once in the extracted yakuake directory)

./install

make

make install

then run yakuake from a terminal or from the "run" prompt

u-noneinc-s... do you know how to make a command run at startup?

thx

w5set
4th June 2006, 07:57 AM
Put the script command in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
and it runs after all other stuff is done.

u-noneinc-s
4th June 2006, 08:02 AM
I should, it been the topic of many threads, but I'm afraid I don't. You know what they say, use it or lose it.. I know it depends
on what it is and exactly when you want it to run. Somewhere there is a place to put KDE startup scripts, Otherwise it would
probably have to do with /etc/rc.d/init.d. I guess these startup in the order they are listed? There is also rc.0.d through rc6.d and
rc.local and rc.sysinit which is why I get confused. There are so many rc,somethings.
Search the forum for startup scripts and if you don't have any luck, start an apropriate thread. I'm sure you'll find something though.

EDIT: Well it looks like your search is over. Thanks w5set.