PDA

View Full Version : Swap Space

AviO.
3rd June 2006, 06:40 PM
I have Fedora and windows 2000 on two different hard drives in my computer, and swap space. Someone once moved a folder from my windows to fedora, and i have a folder for windows in fedora. How do i get a windows folder from fedora? Thanx

bob
3rd June 2006, 06:50 PM
'Swap Space' is not for sharing files between operating systems. It's a temporary storage space in linux for programs that are processing data. Can you see the data on Fedora that you had in Windows? That 'windows' folder may not be involved at all, and very probably the data is still just in Windows.

AviO.
3rd June 2006, 06:53 PM
well my instructor last year got a file from my windows desk top to go through to fedora. its in my documents in fedora now. Do you know how i can do that? I need to get things from the floppy disk, and the drive only works with windows, thats why he did it in the first place.
Thanx

bob
3rd June 2006, 07:07 PM
So, you've put a floppy into the drive in Fedora and need to access information that's on the floppy or is it that you want to take a blank floppy and copy some file from Fedora onto the floppy?

bob
3rd June 2006, 07:21 PM
Avio, this is apparently an assignment by your instructor to have you learn how to do this? It wouldn't be quite fair if I gave you exact details then. However, you probably have some instructions from the teacher that would help? Have you tried using Google to help you figure this out? I'll give you a couple of tips though - what you're looking for is 'mount floppy drive', because, like getting on a horse, you've got to have your system 'mount' that floppy drive and when done, 'unmount' it. Here's one page that might help you figure things out: http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/mounting.html Also, keep in mind that to access, create and delete things in linux, you're going to need to be 'root', not 'user'.